GRAPHIC What happened to these soldiers?

af2018

Cadet
We can never understand what these poor boys experienced. Looking at this photo im trying to understand what happened to these soldiers who died.
Why are their heads down to bleach-white bone? Were they left on the battlefield so long that it was animals? I can't think of a period weapon which could have caused such devastation. Maybe they were carrying crates of black powder when they were hit by a cannon? I know we'll never know for sure, but I think they deserve a conversation.
665.png

They were buried in shallow temporary graves on the battlefield. After the battle and after the war burial parties went to the battlefields to locate and disinter the bodies for proper burial either in the national cemetaries or if identified returned to the families for burial at home. I believe if I remember correctly this phot was taken at Cold Harbor after the war during one of these parties so these guys had already been in the ground for some time.

It is one of the most disturbing images I have ever seen. The foot in the boot is more of a creep out to me than the skulls.

They were buried in shallow temporary graves on the battlefield. After the battle and after the war burial parties went to the battlefields to locate and disinter the bodies for proper burial either in the national cemetaries or if identified returned to the families for burial at home. I believe if I remember correctly this phot was taken at Cold Harbor after the war during one of these parties so these guys had already been in the ground for some time.

Right. Cold Harbor. Tough to imagine anyone survived that wasted battle.
I agree. They were probably buried and then removed for final burial.
Thanks!

It is one of the most disturbing images I have ever seen. The foot in the boot is more of a creep out to me than the skulls.

Yes. Even moreso if you think about it is the guy on the left picking up the bodies. How could anyone deal with that stress and be able to live a productive life afterwards? Not to mention he is black which made his life 1,000 times more difficult as it was.

We can never understand what these poor boys experienced. Looking at this photo im trying to understand what happened to these soldiers who died.
Why are their heads down to bleach-white bone? Were they left on the battlefield so long that it was animals? I can't think of a period weapon which could have caused such devastation. Maybe they were carrying crates of black powder when they were hit by a cannon? I know we'll never know for sure, but I think they deserve a conversation.
View attachment 309148
Insects and their larva can consume a lot in a relatively little amount of time . It may not be very appealing to think about , but that is nature's way .

Back