What generals were most liked and most hated by their troops?

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
@mofederal ,
Got me to thinking when he said General Jefferson C. Davis was not popular with his troops.
If we made a list of generals on both sides from most popular to least popular what would that list look like? Of course sources would be great i.e. diaries and journalistic reports. Other sources would be good.
Why would General X be more popular then General Y?
Maybe better care of his men' needs i.e. food ,shelter and sanitation?
Less likely to get them killed storming fortifications?
What say ye All?
Leftyhunter

Can't vote because I do not know. You read of beloved generals, but we all know how legend lies to us, morphing through time. Add that to some sports like fan bases 150 years later and it's easy to be distracted. Answering takes knowing what the troops thought- only have that for a few.

You forgot Buford! :angel:

Vote Here:
I just don’t know how we determine “most”
Generals had their fans and their critics - how can we rank them?
I am not trying to do a scientific poll. I have five Civil War biographies of enlisted personnel although Elisha Hunt Rhodes rose to Colonel.
I will try to cite them later. If folks can cite biographies ,ORs ,letters ,newspapers,and diaries or academic works that would bolster their case.
For example Sam Watkins in his book " Company A T O C " loves Lee but Bragg not so much.
Maybe their are diaries where the men heap love and praise on Bragg. Who knows What we will find.
Leftyhunter

Vote Here:
Can't vote because I do not know. You read of beloved generals, but we all know how legend lies to us, morphing through time. Add that to some sports like fan bases 150 years later and it's easy to be distracted. Answering takes knowing what the troops thought- only have that for a few.

You forgot Buford! :angel:
True , I will try to add him. On the other hand Bufford was not an army commander although an effective Brigade
commander.
Leftyhunter

Vote Here:
Nathaniel Lyon was not very loved by the men. He was a fighter and died very early, but I have never read much about him that said he was loved. A lot of people in the Army disliked him. He was one of those people.

Vote Here:
Back