What does AOT mean?

Ainatari

Private
I've been wondering what AOT stands for since I started browsing the forums(as a visitor).Initially I thought of the anime Attack On Titan. What does it really mean?(In my mind I think of it as Attack On Tennessee) Thanks for any clarification!

Hah!

Some battles (or big skirmishes) have more than two names.

Can you name any?

Winner/Loser Name

Manassas/Bull Run
Chickahominy/Gaines Mill (dunno about this one)
Seven Pines/Fair Oaks
Murfreesboro/Stones River
Antietam/Sharpsburg
Pea Ridge/Elkhorn Tavern

OK, not official but: The Great Picnic/Yankee Vandals Destroy Georgia

Vote Here:
There's also
  • Wilson's Creek / Oak Hills
  • Ball's Bluff / Leesburg
  • Beaver Dam Creek / Mechanicsville
  • Chantilly / Ox Hill
  • South Mountain / Boonsboro
  • Perryville / Chaplin Hills
  • Mansfield / Sabine Cross Roads

Winner/Loser Name

[. . .]
Gaines' Mill was a Confederate victory.

If you mean, however, which name is northern and which southern, Chickahominy would be the northern name; the Chickahominy is a river on the Peninsula and generally flows from northwest to southeast until flowing into the James River. Gaines' Mill was a gristmill owned by Dr. William G. Gaines, a prominent landowner and ardent supporter of the Confederacy. It stood about a mile away from the battlefield but was apparently the most prominent structure for the Confederates to use for naming. :smile:

Vote Here:
Gaines' Mill was a Confederate victory.

If you mean, however, which name is northern and which southern, Chickahominy would be the northern name; the Chickahominy is a river on the Peninsula and generally flows from northwest to southeast until flowing into the James River. Gaines' Mill was a gristmill owned by Dr. William G. Gaines, a prominent landowner and ardent supporter of the Confederacy. It stood about a mile away from the battlefield but was apparently the most prominent structure for the Confederates to use for naming.
Gaines' Mill was also known as Cold Harbor, being in the same general area. It seems like I usually see Confederates refer to it as such more so than Federal; "Cold Harbor" is even on an number of Confederate battle flags in use before 1864. I've also seen it referred to as Boatswain's Swamp/Creek or Turkey Hill, which were notable landmarks on the field where most of the fighting raged across.

The battle of Glendale (also of the Seven Days) had many other names, aka Frayser's or Nelson's Farm/Riddle's Shop/Charles City Crossroads/Willis Church, New Market, or Long Bridge Road.

Vote Here:
The Battle of Buckland Mills is also known as The Buckland Races or Chestnut Hill.

Gaines' Mill was also known as Cold Harbor, being in the same general area. It seems like I usually see Confederates refer to it as such more so than Federal; "Cold Harbor" is even on an number of Confederate battle flags in use before 1864.
That confused the heck out of me when I first stumbled across that. I already knew of the Battle of Cold Harbor in June 1864 and at first thought the author of the text had made a mistake with the year. :laugh:

Reactions: AUG
Vote Here:
Back