Featured What do you say was the end of the Civil War?

Confederate General Stand Watie, commanding Indian troops, did not surrender until late June 1865. The dude would not give up. It was only over when he agreed it was over.

Vote Here:
I'll throw a "fly in the ointment" as everyone else is speaking militarily.....I'll offer this food for thought: I'll say the war ended with the capture of the Confederate government.
While I don't disagree with those who speak of armies surrendering or last shots fired.....I will say that, without a government (in the case of the Civil War), there's nothing left to fight for....no "cause" anymore...the idea of "self-rule" has been "captured" with nothing to replace it....The main reason hostilities continued is because news travelled slow, not because they expected a "new" government to take the place of the old.......Just my two cents.....Thanks!!

Vote Here:
It's over? :sneaky:

From a military point of view, I'll take August 2, 1865, when CSS Shenandoah received confirmation from the British bark Barracouta that the war was over; she struck her battery below and ceased offensive operations. Although it was in large part due to the slow speed of communications, it was a long-standing principle that wars ended when the news of the end reached the fighting units (the classic example being the Battle of New Orleans in 1815), and up to that moment, the Shenandoah was still an active fighting unit operating under orders.

Vote Here:
I had to vote for August 1866. The fighting may have stopped earlier but there were no formal treaty or formal cease fire and negotiated end to the war.

Vote Here:
I had to vote for August 1866. The fighting may have stopped earlier but there were no formal treaty or formal cease fire and negotiated end to the war.
Note that, there was no formal treaty or formal cease fire and negotiated end to the war in 1866 either (as far as I know). Andrew Johnson just said "the threat is gone, the war is over."

Of interest to me is that if you look at his "the war is over proclamation," Johnson could have issued it months earlier, given the conditions on the ground. There's probably a story behind why he happened to issue the proclamation in August 1866, but I don't know it.

- Alan

Last edited:
Vote Here:
Note that, there was no formal treaty or formal cease fire and negotiated end to the war in 1866 either (as far as I know). Andrew Johnson just said "the threat is gone, the war to be over."

Of interest to me is that if you look at his "the war is over proclamation," Johnson could have issued it months earlier, given the conditions on the ground. There's probably a story behind why he happened to issue the proclamation in August 1866, but I don't know it.

- Alan

Johnson was reacting to the development of a new state government in Texas. His proclamation said, "Whereas the laws can now be sustained and enforced in the said State of Texas by the proper civil authority, State or Federal ... "
In August 1866 a newly elected Governor (Throckmorton) took office and a new legislature met. However, this government was undone the following year when Congress took control of reconstruction.

Vote Here:
Back