What do you folks think about this supposed "Union Jacket"?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
That's a frock of some kind. The NY state jacket I'm familiar with is a shell/roundabout style jacket. It has some unusual trim, maybe from a militia unit. Hard to tell without seeing the stitching and fabric up close what period it is. I'd have reservations about it too but I'm far from an expert on it. I'm sure one of the uniform experts here will know for sure.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/atq/d/griffin-military-collection/6834549224.html (first and last photos)

Seller says it's a New York Jacket. I'm not an expert on uniforms, and the price seems to be low... hence my reservation. Any thoughts?
I'll have to double check my reference material when I get time but I do believe you will find that is an 1880s or later frock coat. The cut of the coat, along with the collar style, and the tail decoration all point to post war to me.

That's a frock of some kind. The NY state jacket I'm familiar with is a shell/roundabout style jacket. It has some unusual trim, maybe from a militia unit. Hard to tell without seeing the stitching and fabric up close what period it is. I'd have reservations about it too but I'm far from an expert on it. I'm sure one of the uniform experts here will know for sure.
Thank you! Not sure if I'm 100% interested or not - but for sure I wouldn't be unless it's real. I agree about the militia part - makes sense.

Awesome, thanks Bill for any info you can provide :smile:
Based on what I've found so far in Army Blue, the coat in question appears to closely resemble the 1872 pattern mounted infantry coat (mounted based on the "W" shaped tail facings and the piping along the bottom edge of the coat). This coat has some differences, such as lack of belt loops, a different shoulder arrangement, a different collar design, and piping along the cuff instead of branch color facings. These could all be explained as the New York Militia style but I cant seem to find any regulations specific to their use of this style coat. Most of what I've seen for New York post war would be the cadet grey fatigue coat and coatee made popular by the 7th New York. Hopefully somebody else with more knowledge than I will come along and clear this up for us.

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
As @ucvrelics stated pictures of the buttons can possibly help. Maybe you can contact the seller to see if he can provide images?
The buttons themselves look suspicious to me - they're not the usual convex brass stampings with an embossed coat-of-arms I associate with wartime buttons; rather they look like the "muffin" style buttons of the postwar period. Union staff officers had some buttons like this, but I presume this is an enlisted coat?

Looking at the shoulder strip could be Lt. I don't care about the front of the button, its the back I would like to see the BM. I know buttons can be chaged but just the few photos its hard but I don't believe its CW. As stated above "the price"
Agreed with concerns on the price and buttons. I've reached out for more photos, so we'll see. Thanks everyone for the input so far. I really only collect hats as far as uniforms go, due to the space everything else takes up. But if this is a legitimate piece and not a post-war jacket, then I'm interested at that pricepoint for sure. Have some major doubts though, as others have said.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)