What did soldiers do after being mustered out?

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
After reading about some of my favorite Union regiments, like the 14th Brooklyn and the Pennsylvania Reserve regiments, it occurred to me that I wasn't really sure what the three-years men did between being mustered out and the end of the conflict. Of course, I imagine they would have simply returned home to whatever work they left behind, but the war still going on, did any join the militia or other units?

In the case of the 1st Ohio Light Artillery, Battery A ( 3 year enlistment) , at the end of their 3 year enlistment, the men were offered a 3 week furlough and a bonus ( I think it was $300) to re-enlist for another 3 years. Nearly all of the men did re-enlist, and during the 3 week furlough, Capt. Goodspeed recruited men to replace those that did not reenlist. They were then mustered back into service, and served until the end of the war.

There was also a 1st Ohio Light Artillery that was a 3 month enlistment ( 6 1 gun batteries). The Cleveland Light Artillery ( a part of the Ohio Militia) volunteered for 3 months of service and were mustered in as the 1st Ohio Light Artillery ( 3 month service) When their 3 months was over, they returned to Cleveland and remained an Ohio Militia Battery. When the Ohio National Guard was formed in 1864, they became the 8th independant battery of the Ohio National Guard, and served until the end of the war.

Vote Here:
Back