What did Rebecca McPherson Wright do during the Shenandoah Valley Campaign?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
In another post Jonathan A. Noyalas will give a lecture at The Society of Women and the Civil War about Rebecca McPherson Wright. So does anyone want to tell us what she did to help Sheridan win the 1864 Shenandoah Valley Campaign?

The “CliffNotes” of her story of how she helped Sheridan in September of 1864 - - -

“Wright wrote Sheridan: ‘I have no communication whatever with the rebels, but will tell you what I know. The division of General Kershaw, and Cutshaw’s artillery…have been sent away, and no more are expected, as they cannot be spared from Richmond. I do not know how the troops are situated, but the force is much smaller than is represented.’ When Laws returned on the 16th Wright ‘silently gave him the tiny package’ containing her note.

“Sheridan followed his triumphant army into Winchester . . .
[he arrived at her home] . . . Sheridan informed Wright that “‘was entirely on the information I had sent that he fought the battle’.”

She was in her early to mid-twenties at the time; living as a Union sympathizer in a Southern state; was a school teacher and a Quaker. After the war (1867) Sheridan sent her a gift of an “elegant gold watch…brooch…of gold, beautifully wrought into a gauntlet, and set with pearls”. Her mother warned her not to wear the gift in public but eventually her story came out and pretty much ostracized her family in the community. Her story was picked up the “national” press. She moved with her mother and sister to Philadelphia where she worked as a clerk in the Treasury Department. In 1882 when she heard rumors that she might be removed, Sheridan came to her rescue to remind Treasury Secretary James Folger of her role in the war, she remained in the position until 1914.

How important was her role as a spy in the war. As Sheridan later replied to a reporter’s question:

“That woman was worth a whole brigade of soldiers and several batteries of artillery down in the Winchester campaign, and she was one of the genuine heroines of the war.”

https://www.historynet.com/woman-worth-whole-brigade.htm

Should be an interesting discussion as my source is also the same person giving the lecture.

Back