Uniforms What did average 10th US Infantry private wear during the Antietam Campaign?

Is there any reason to believe that they did not wear standard federal infantry uniforms? So I assume a five button federal sack coat and forage cap. Perhaps some wore their hats. I guess some could have worn their frock coats.

What is "average"?

I've read things like "the 'average' Civil War soldier was five feet six inches tall, 18 years old, had brown hair, and was a farmer before the War".

Okay - now go through the roster of the 10th US and find more than a dozen guys who check ALL of those boxes.

Statistics are interesting, but the men in the ranks were all individuals.

Tangential to your uniform question - but sometimes "average" blinds us to the variability inherent in these units. Even in uniforms and equipment!

What is "average"?

I've read things like "the 'average' Civil War soldier was five feet six inches tall, 18 years old, had brown hair, and was a farmer before the War".

Okay - now go through the roster of the 10th US and find more than a dozen guys who check ALL of those boxes.

Statistics are interesting, but the men in the ranks were all individuals.

Tangential to your uniform question - but sometimes "average" blinds us to the variability inherent in these units. Even in uniforms and equipment!
No, average would be appropriate for a US national regiment in asking about the uniform, there are only a couple of options and generally the commanding officer (colonel) would have a preference. Hancock, for instance, did not like any enlisted to wear slouch hats, only a cap whether kepi or forage cap. The uniform would be either a frock or a sack with sky blue trousers and that really is the question. The answer would be what did they wear at Sharpsburg, pictures would tell the tale and since the regiment was a national regiment they most likely conformed to one standard.

I thought I read somewhere that they wore frock coats at Antietam but I can't recall where.
So if they wore frock coats and as a national or regular army regiment they would have had their service stripes on the frock as was regulation. They would not have had the service stripes on sack coats. The 10th had a fairly long history and were one of the regiments sent on the Utah expedition in 1857. Many of those men were still on the regiment's rolls in 1862, so at least one service stripe.

What did average 10th US Infantry private wear during the Antietam Campaign? Would those that had enlisted in 1855 have worn service stripes? What uniform elements were they issued?
They were issued a dress coat (frock) and a sack coat fatigue, along with a dress hat (M1858 hat) and a forage cap.

The 10th had a fairly long history and were one of the regiments sent on the Utah expedition in 1857.

In "Army Blue: The Uniform of Uncle Sam's Regulars 1848-1873" John Langellier describes some of the outlandish outfits worn by Regulars on Western campaign duty. IIRC the Utah expedition was specifically mentioned. We tend to think of Regulars as spit and polish bandbox soldiers; in practice, once they went on campaign all that stuff was forgotten and they focused on accomplishing the mission.

As to what they were actually issued, just like any other regiment that depended on what the Quartermaster filling the requisition had on hand. The Army had a vast quantity of light blue trousers in storage at the beginning of the war, which was one issue the regulations were changed back to light blue for all line troops in late 1861.

Were they in sack coats or frocks? Most likely - but only a veteran account or photographic evidence can prove anything.

I agree that soldiers entitled to wear service stripes would probably have worn them on the frock coat. Other than that, the only practical difference between volunteers and Regulars was that older men in a Regular regiment were more likely to be veterans.

In "Army Blue: The Uniform of Uncle Sam's Regulars 1848-1873" John Langellier describes some of the outlandish outfits worn by Regulars on Western campaign duty. IIRC the Utah expedition was specifically mentioned. We tend to think of Regulars as spit and polish bandbox soldiers; in practice, once they went on campaign all that stuff was forgotten and they focused on accomplishing the mission.

As to what they were actually issued, just like any other regiment that depended on what the Quartermaster filling the requisition had on hand. The Army had a vast quantity of light blue trousers in storage at the beginning of the war, which was one issue the regulations were changed back to light blue for all line troops in late 1861.

Were they in sack coats or frocks? Most likely - but only a veteran account or photographic evidence can prove anything.

I agree that soldiers entitled to wear service stripes would probably have worn them on the frock coat. Other than that, the only practical difference between volunteers and Regulars was that older men in a Regular regiment were more likely to be veterans.
Incorrect, John specifically mentions the lack of supply of the Utah expedition and photographs show that they maintained their uniforms as best they could. All wore frock coats and shakos, though shakos for fatigue duty were a problem and the caps suffered greatly once the paste board was cracked or dented. I maintain and John agrees that this was the true advent of the later M1858 forage cap, they dented and squished M1851/4 shakos to become more comfortable.

McClellan, for example had two dress parades per day while in camp, these were replete with brass scales, frocks and white gloves. There were many martinets in the Union army, particularly the US regulars, where West Pointers were in abundance. These were not citizen army soldiers, but professionals who were very proud. By 1862 there was not a supply issue for the Union army other than shoes, which on campaign would typically wear out in 6 weeks and needed resole or replace.

The US Quartermaster took care of regular troops first while allowing many states to take care of their needs supplemented by Arsenal supplied gear.

Incorrect, John specifically mentions the lack of supply of the Utah expedition and photographs show that they maintained their uniforms as best they could. All wore frock coats and shakos, though shakos for fatigue duty were a problem and the caps suffered greatly once the paste board was cracked or dented.

From Langellier, pp. 41-42:
Similarly, when President James Buchanan's administration decided to curtail what was perceived as a Mormon separatist movement in Utah Territory, another force gathered at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas in 1857. Among the 2,500 regulars was the Fifth Infantry Regiment. The men of this unit apparently had the the 1839-pattern forage cap and old mounted uniform jackets. The jackets either retained the color trim of (sic) that had been applied to them at the arsenal, such as green for mounted rifles, or may have been without lace because the dark blue tape that replaced white in 1852 as the color for infantry fatigue jackets would not show up on the dark blue wool garments. The infantry overcoat, and, probably, heavy boots and with (sic) mufflers, completed the marching order.

In contrast, each company of the Tenth Infantry regiment in the expedition was allowed:
'to wear shirts and hats, provided they were all alike, the knapsack to be carried in the wagons. Accordingly, to commence on the right, Capt. Gardner, gray shirts, black hats; Co. B, Co. I, your humble servant (Captain Jesse Gove, who recorded this event), gray and gray hats, the only ones in the command and they are splendid; Co. C, Capt. Tidball, white shirts; Co. F, Lt. Forney, white; Co. G, Lt. Williams, light blue shirts, black hats; Co. H, Capt Tracy, white shirts; Co. K, Capt. Dunovant, dark blue and black hats; Co. E, Lt. Dudley, gray and black hats.'

McClellan, for example had two dress parades per day while in camp, these were replete with brass scales, frocks and white gloves.

I'll issue a friendly challenge to anyone to find a primary source reference showing ANY unit (volunteer or regular) holding a dress parade while actively engaged in the South Mountain/Antietam campaign. Any commanding officer wasting time with such ceremonies under the circumstances would have deserved a court martial for incompetence.

There were many martinets in the Union army, particularly the US regulars, where West Pointers were in abundance.

I wonder - has anyone done a study of how many West Point trained officers left the Regulars immediately after the secession crisis to go South? And how many more left to accept State appointments at higher rank?

How well has the wartime Regular army really been studied - as opposed to assumptions made based on a literal reading of the Regulations?

From Langellier, pp. 41-42:
Referring to the photographs of the expedition, all are shown in frock coats (either French pleated chasseur-a-pied or the M1854 frock) and shakos (except officers/non coms) unless in shirt sleeves.

I should be more specific, McClellan maintained 2 dress parades per day while the men were in camp around DC. The balance of the army it could be assumed since the commander of the AoP wanted spit and polish it would filter down to the line officers, eager for advancement.

Looking at pictures of Union infantry at Sharpsburg, it appears that there is a 50%-50 split; 50% wore frocks and the balance sacks. McClellan's HQ guard the 93rd NY at Sharpsburg, are shown in one photograph with a 50-50 split and 1/3 of the soldiers are wearing white gloves. One entire company is wearing white gloves and it appears as if their officer, is the officer of the day, since he is wearing the sash across his shoulder. McClellan even in the field was about spit and polish.

It should also be noted that there were only 3 companies of the 10th at Sharpsburg and according to Todd in his seminal American Military Equipage 1851-1872 page 382 Vol I: "Regular infantry regiments during the Civil War tended to dress more formally than volunteers", it should also be noted that a major contributor to this work was Michael McAfee, Curator of History USMA West Point. They were armed with the M1855 Rifle, complete with the rifleman's belt and M1855 saber bayonet, not to be confused with the rifled musket and this was so until sometime in 1862 when they were issued regular M1861 Springfields.

To my knowledge there are no regular infantry pictures of Union forces at Sharpsburg though there were portions of regiments there:
Companies E, G & I of the 10th were attached to the 2nd US Infantry under Captain John S. Poland (West point Class of 1861) of the 2nd. Company E was commanded by First Lieutenant George S. Lauman, Company G by Captain Henry E. Maynadier (West Point 1851) and Company I by Second Lieutenant William L. Kellog (West Point 1861)

Last edited:
I'll issue a friendly challenge to anyone to find a primary source reference showing ANY unit (volunteer or regular) holding a dress parade while actively engaged in the South Mountain/Antietam campaign. Any commanding officer wasting time with such ceremonies under the circumstances would have deserved a court martial for incompetence.

I wonder - has anyone done a study of how many West Point trained officers left the Regulars immediately after the secession crisis to go South? And how many more left to accept State appointments at higher rank?

How well has the wartime Regular army really been studied - as opposed to assumptions made based on a literal reading of the Regulations?
I know several that were in the 10th US went South, and several went for State appointment including the Captain of Company I, who I believe was killed at Gaines Mill (ironically the 10th was there also), and it was in that Company that my own ancestor served from 1855 to Nov. 1862. Also, another reason I am asking about the uniforms of the 10th is that I (and several others) are forming a new reenactment unit made up of members from the War of Rights "10thUS Regulars", which specifically revolves around the Antietam Campaign. We decided to make this a real reenactment unit and meet 2-3 times a year because just like an actual unit of Regulars we live all over the country, with a few living out of the country, problem is, although some of us are already reenactors, none of us are experienced enough to know where to find the sources for the Regular army so we know what kind of gear we need to buy. I actually put together a list of some resources pertaining to the Regular army in the war, but most of us are in our 20s to mid 30s and don't actually have the time to do anything other than skim most of them. I just shared the google doc of it.

Edit: The Captain of Company I was Jesse Gove and went State and became Col. of the 22nd Mass. and was killed at Gaines Mill.

Attachments

• The Proud, Unsung Few- Resources Pertaining to the Regular Army in the Civil War.pdf
    118.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
We decided to make this a real reenactment unit and meet 2-3 times a year because just like an actual unit of Regulars we live all over the country, with a few living out of the country, problem is, although some of us are already reenactors, none of us are experienced enough to know where to find the sources for the Regular army so we know what kind of gear we need to buy.
I think it is great that a unit from the game end up resulting in a real life reenactment unit.

As for you core question, I will suggest asking on the authentic campaigner facebook group. Or one of the other similar groups.
(I know you already asked on the forum... but I guess it is basically on life support now)

And asking for how you fid the information yourself is likely better than asking for the information.

--------------
I will suggest that you have a serious talk about what level authenticity is expected of your gear.
Getting mainstream gear produced in Pakistan is a lot cheaper then getting the campaigner level gear from the top US manufactures.

Iam not arguing for one or the other, just that it would be better to agree on the issue from the start so you avoid any disagreements when you do get together.
(And If you end up going for the high level stuff, it is much cheaper to get it from the start, than upgrade later)

I will also suggest reading this book:
10 years in the Ranks, by August Meyers.
He joins at age 12 in the 1854 and serve out west with the 2nd US infantry as a drummerboy, then reenlist in 1860.

At Antietam companies from the 10th and from the 2nd fight as one battalion under Cpt John S. Poland.

It can be found here:

I think it is great that a unit from the game end up resulting in a real life reenactment unit.

As for you core question, I will suggest asking on the authentic campaigner facebook group. Or one of the other similar groups.
(I know you already asked on the forum... but I guess it is basically on life support now)

And asking for how you fid the information yourself is likely better than asking for the information.

--------------
I will suggest that you have a serious talk about what level authenticity is expected of your gear.
Getting mainstream gear produced in Pakistan is a lot cheaper then getting the campaigner level gear from the top US manufactures.

Iam not arguing for one or the other, just that it would be better to agree on the issue from the start so you avoid any disagreements when you do get together.
(And If you end up going for the high level stuff, it is much cheaper to get it from the start, than upgrade later)

I will also suggest reading this book:
10 years in the Ranks, by August Meyers.
He joins at age 12 in the 1854 and serve out west with the 2nd US infantry as a drummerboy, then reenlist in 1860.

At Antietam companies from the 10th and from the 2nd fight as one battalion under Cpt John S. Poland.

It can be found here:
We agreed that our only requirement for gear quality is that it is not completely trash, but we do want the correct uniform and gear. I did initially try to argue that we get the best gear available but the Col. reminded me that most of us doing this are in our 20s and still owe our left arms to our respective alma maters not to mention the other costs of life, and that requiring that would severely deplete our numbers. I also personally want the best campaigner gear because I am upgrading anyways and should be able to afford doing so before we meet in the spring or summer of 22.

Back