Discussion What CS Generals Were These Officers Aide-De-Camps

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

luinrina

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Source: List of staff officers of the Confederate States army. 1861-1865

2. Joseph C. Ives - chief engineer to Robert E. Lee 61-62, became ADC to President Davis in April 62
3. Joseph R. Davis - to President Davis
4. Wm. M. Browne - to President Davis
5. G.W. Custis Lee - to President Davis
7. James Chesnut* - to Beauregard 61-62, to President Davis 62-64

1. There's an F.R. Lubbock in the book who was ADC to Magruder. But no F.P. Lubbock.
6. Johnson is hard to determine. The book lists lots of Johnsons in staff positions. There's a William who was O.O. to Gen. Debray and a Wm. F. was ADC to JEB Stuart, but no Wm. P. On the other hand, I've heard before that this book is not complete.

Since most were ADCs to the President, #1 and #6 could be too but are just missing from the book.

*On the CDV, Chesnut has been misspelled as Chestnut. See James Chesnut's wikipedia entry; there's a picture of him in 1862 which looks like his picture in the CDV above.

luinrina

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Since five of the seven were ADCs to Jeff Davis, I presumed the other two were too and searched accordingly. I thus found the following:

It seems F.P. Lubbock is another misspelling. I found Francis Richard Lubbock who served as ADC to President Davis late in the war. The bio's picture shows Lubbock as a middle-aged man, however. His find a grave entry has a photo where he is older and IMO there is some similarity to the Lubbock picture in the CDV above.

Wm. P. Johnson could be another misspelling. I found a William Preston Johnston who served as aide-de-camp to Jefferson Davis. Most interesting: William Preston Johnston is the oldest son of General Albert Sidney Johnston. The only picture I've found of him as a young man is this one. Doesn't look too similar to the picture in the CDV above... maybe it's the beard?

And while we're at misspellings: #4 in the CDV is spelled as Wm. N. Browne. Since the list of staff officers lists him as Wm. M. Browne I assumed it to be him. I now found this thread with a photo: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/colonel-william-m-browne-aide-to-camp-to-jefferson-davis.101274/ Looks like it's the same picture as in the CDV.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)