NF What Civil War story do you think would make a fantastic movie?

Non-Fiction
There was a novel written just after the war by a Union officer called Miss Ravenal's Conversion. It has femme fatales, a lot of stuff about the freedmen, illegal cotton trades, a regular hero, an anti-hero, a love story. It would be pretty entertaining.

The Civil War meets The Great Escape...

"The Libby Prison Escape at Richmond, Virginia in February 1864 saw over 100 Union prisoners-of-war escape from captivity. It was one of the most successful prison breaks of the American Civil War. Led by Colonel Thomas E. Rose of the 77th Pennsylvania Infantry, the prisoners started tunnelling in a rat-infested zone which the Confederate guards were reluctant to enter. The tunnel emerged in a vacant lot beside a warehouse, from where the escapees could walk out through the gate without arousing suspicion. Since the prison was believed to be escape-proof, there was less vigilance by the authorities than in other camps, and the alarm was not raised for nearly 12 hours. Over half the prisoners were able to reach Union lines, helped by their familiarity with the terrain after serving in McClellan's Peninsula Campaign of 1862."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libby_Prison_Escape

My definition of terrorism is one you get when you google the definition of terrorism...

Terrorism: unlawful use of violence (like stealing federal weapons) and intimidation, especially against civilians (like the people of Harper's Ferry), in the pursuit of political aims (like ending slavery).

So im going to stick with calling John Brown a terrorist and a fascinating figure for a movie.

Grant owned one slave but oversaw the work of other slaves when he ran his father in laws farm, which he failed at. That would be the first part of my Grant movie, him marrying Julia and taking over the farm/slaves.

I agree with you, which makes me sad, cause im bored of watching giant CGI talking robots fight...
It is hard to debate about John Brown being a terrorist without drifting into modern politics. If John Brown is a terrorist then certainly William Clarke Quantrill is although we have a few posters that argue otherwise.
If Grant failed as an overseer of slaves then how did he fail I.e. was he ( and I hate to use the term) to lenient with the slaves?
No doubt about to many CGI talking robots and super hero movies. That's why in general I watch older movies and Israeli and South Korean movies as they focus on acting and plot which is kind of a novel idea these days.
Leftyhunter

Truly sad that this nation now ignores it's own raw history in favor of political correctness! People could actually LEARN something instead of only frivolous fantasy entertainment. The History channel has even lost their way too. :banghead:
Unfortunately the producer's of the History channel have families,mistress's and divorce lawyer's to feed. So they have to do what they have to do to get more eyeballs on their show.
Leftyhunter

Of course, I'm always up for a Forrest movie! Coen brothers could do a good job there. But, as a second choice, what about Patrick Cleburne? You've got it all there - even an especially tragic romance. (And you can work Forrest into it, too...:wink:)
If you pitched the movie you could add that it would have a built in Irish audience. Quite a good sized Irish diaspora around the world.
Leftyhunter

Cleburne was an Anglo-Irish Protestant, more in common the Duke of Wellington than with Spuds O’Malley from 35th and Halsted.
True but still he was from the Emerald Island. Hopefully by now the Irish people have at least somewhat put their sectarian differences behind them.
Leftyhunter

Didn't we have a similar thread not too long ago?

I've always thought The Fall of Richmond would make a good movie. The riots and fires in the city could provide spectacle, and the drama of the entrance into the city of the black union troops (to say nothing of the entrance of Lincoln himself) would be compelling. A sub-plot on Union spies in Richmond during the Fall might work well on screen.

Last edited:
Hear me out...what about a movie on the life of Dan Sickles, his story has everything, he was the first person to successfully plead temporary insanity during a murder trial, he disobeyed orders yet argued that he had taken the initiative at Gettysburg, he loses his leg and donates it to a museum and he dabbled quite successfully in politics. His story has everything, war, love, prostitution, insanity and politics. He was an all round scoundrel and womaniser, what’s not to like.

"Kill-Cavalry," an epic about Genl. Judson Kilpatric could be equally as scandalous! An unabashed profiteer WHILE serving as an officer... plus a good deal of other juicy sub-plots.

The Civil War meets The Great Escape...

"The Libby Prison Escape at Richmond, Virginia in February 1864 saw over 100 Union prisoners-of-war escape from captivity. It was one of the most successful prison breaks of the American Civil War. Led by Colonel Thomas E. Rose of the 77th Pennsylvania Infantry, the prisoners started tunnelling in a rat-infested zone which the Confederate guards were reluctant to enter. The tunnel emerged in a vacant lot beside a warehouse, from where the escapees could walk out through the gate without arousing suspicion. Since the prison was believed to be escape-proof, there was less vigilance by the authorities than in other camps, and the alarm was not raised for nearly 12 hours. Over half the prisoners were able to reach Union lines, helped by their familiarity with the terrain after serving in McClellan's Peninsula Campaign of 1862."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libby_Prison_Escape

I agree but how about this one that involved no tunneling, just walked away.....
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/escape-from-libby-prison.140764/#post-1699094

"Kill-Cavalry," an epic about Genl. Judson Kilpatric could be equally as scandalous! An unabashed profiteer WHILE serving as an officer... plus a good deal of other juicy sub-plots.

Farnsworth family might have something to say about that , Main character has to be likeable to a certain extent it has to sell tickets reason why you couldn't do a film on Forrest.

Back