NF What Civil War story do you think would make a fantastic movie?

Non-Fiction
A proper movie on the Grey Ghost , Just call it Mosby , If their was a script for Hollywood Mosby's antics would fill it five times over amazing character and doesn't get the plaudits he deserves.

Great title for a thread btw.
I agree. The Grey Ghost tv series is what sparked my interest in the Civil War. Also, I think he would have a lot of more overall appeal than some more famous. Cump Sherman might not play that well with some southerners. Nor NBF with some yanks. Mosby has that Robin Hood, Swamp Fox appeal. Just my view.

I would love to see a movie about the Vicksburg campaign.

I would have 3 main characters:
  • Pemberton: as a Northerner fighting for the South you could really explore the reasons why some Southerners fought for the CSA. I think that Pemberton is such an interesting and tragic figure, you could do a lot with him.
  • A former slave fighting at the battle of Milliken's Bend. In this way you could explore issues of slavery and black combat units in the war.
  • A female Vicksburg resident. In this way you could look at the suffering of the civilian population to show how war impacts those who don't actually hold the weapons.
I think he could be a really interesting vehicle by which to look at a lot of important issues in the war.

I would love to see a movie about the Vicksburg campaign.

I would have 3 main characters:
  • Pemberton: as a Northerner fighting for the South you could really explore the reasons why some Southerners fought for the CSA. I think that Pemberton is such an interesting and tragic figure, you could do a lot with him.
  • A former slave fighting at the battle of Milliken's Bend. In this way you could explore issues of slavery and black combat units in the war.
  • A female Vicksburg resident. In this way you could look at the suffering of the civilian population to show how war impacts those who don't actually hold the weapons.
I think he could be a really interesting vehicle by which to look at a lot of important issues in the war.
The suffering civilian viewpoint is always a tearjerker no matter what side you're rooting for, especially when it's fact.

Hear me out...what about a movie on the life of Dan Sickles, his story has everything, he was the first person to successfully plead temporary insanity during a murder trial, he disobeyed orders yet argued that he had taken the initiative at Gettysburg, he loses his leg and donates it to a museum and he dabbled quite successfully in politics. His story has everything, war, love, prostitution, insanity and politics. He was an all round scoundrel and womaniser, what’s not to like.

I agree. The Grey Ghost tv series is what sparked my interest in the Civil War. Also, I think he would have a lot of more overall appeal than some more famous. Cump Sherman might not play that well with some southerners. Nor NBF with some yanks. Mosby has that Robin Hood, Swamp Fox appeal. Just my view.

Aye , Errol Flynn would have been the perfect Mosby , But ill settle for Benedict Cumberbatch who I think would also make a great Mosby.

Forrest is to controversial even though he was a brilliant cavalry commander he would be to raw for a lot of audiences and it would take a very brave producer and backers to produce a film about him.

Aye , Errol Flynn would have been the perfect Mosby , But ill settle for Benedict
Hear me out...what about a movie on the life of Dan Sickles, his story has everything, he was the first person to successfully plead temporary insanity during a murder trial, he disobeyed orders yet argued that he had taken the initiative at Gettysburg, he loses his leg and donates it to a museum and he dabbled quite successfully in politics. His story has everything, war, love, prostitution, insanity and politics. He was an all round scoundrel and womaniser, what’s not to like.

Cumberbatch who I think would also make a great Mosby.

Forrest is to controversial even though he was a brilliant cavalry commander he would be to raw for a lot of audiences and it would take a very brave producer and backers to produce a film about him.

:rofl:

"Devil Dan" would be a great movie, culminating in his push for preservation and development of Gettysburg National Military Park.

There was a TV series about Mosby in the 1950s. Not sure how popular it was.
Leftyhunter
Mosby played by Tod Andrews.
A8507FDD-9FFE-4C9C-83CA-487D4DFB4053.jpeg

Back