What Civil War story do you think would make a fantastic movie?

There have been a few great, many not-so-great ACW movies, and apparently a stubborn market for producing such films.

However, if you could successfully lobby Hollywood to tell the story of a particular person/theme/battle what would that be?

I've long considered that the story of the Ellet brothers could be powerful on film.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Recently, i watched Gods and Generals, hoping in an epic movie looking the first Manassas reconstrution, but then i checked few battles than how much i would have expected; instead, in reality, too much few ..
Considering this, i can undertsand you can't make a movie about the whole civil war, maybe a TV series would be much appropiate, anyway Gettysburg (1993) is the best civil war movie i ever watched, and it considers just a battle.
Legends and facts about the war are a multitude, many times the plot is focused on a political aspect, many examples of this kind, anyway i would suggest to focus the body of the movie on a specific battle, or at least a campaign, maybe also through the history of a character/figure, they're the best subjects for what i would expect by a war movie.
Free State of Jones is another cool movie, but i consider it Western not War .. so i prefer Glory .. definetly

gary

Captain
Grierson's Raid. The Yankees win so it's PC or does John Wayne's The Horse Soldiers cover it?
Cruise of the Shenandoah or Alabama.
Grant's slightly over two week campaign from Bruinsberg ending with the Union Army at the gates of Vicksburg. No sieges. Sieges are tedious and boring to an audience.

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
Silver Patron
great idea, which regiment ?? .. AHAHA ask here and it could explode a bomb.
i would consider a zouave one, without be a hometown boy .. i can't
I would pick one of the Iron Brigade regiments on the Union side - probably the Indiana boys. Or, one of Armistead's Virginia Brigades - or Sam Watkins' regiment. You could use Company Aytch as an outline.

AUG

Brigadier General
Forum Host
I would like to see a mini series like Band of Brothers done with one of the famous Civil War regiments.
This. As in Band of Brothers, I think following a single company within a regiment throughout the war would make for a good miniseries, since a company was usually recruited from a single town or county, family and neighbors fighting side by side, prominent local leaders raising and commanding the company. We watch as they go through the war, "see the elephant," lose comrades, until only a handful of hardened veterans are left. Also focus on the folks back home and their connection to the company they sent off. Naturally makes for a good mix of characters and, although Gettysburg is well remembered, I think more relatable to most people than a historical epic with a top-down sort of view.

This. As in Band of Brothers, I think following a single company within a regiment throughout the war would make for a good miniseries, since a company was usually recruited from a single town or county, family and neighbors fighting side by side, prominent local leaders raising and commanding the company. We watch as they go through the war, "see the elephant," lose comrades, until only a handful of hardened veterans are left. Also focus on the folks back home and their connection to the company they sent off. Naturally makes for a good mix of characters and, although Gettysburg is well remembered, I think more relatable to most people than a historical epic with a top-down sort of view.
1st Minnesota immediately comes to mind. I thought I remember reading that the governor of MN happened to be in DC at outbreak of war and was the first to offer troops to Federal service. Great first scene. End w/ the fateful charge on July 2nd.

Belle Montgomery

Sergeant Major
Everyone knows the movie "Carrie" so how about "Carrie in Black" or simply "Carnton"
November 30, 1864 Union and Confederate armies clashed at "Carnton" Plantation in Franklin Tennessee for the battle of Franklin. It was one of the worst disasters of the war for the Confederates and became the defining event of Catherine Winder "Carrie" MaGavock's life as well as her family's. She previously had lost three children of her own which makes her a sympathetic character to begin with notwithstanding her wonderful plantation home commandeered as a field hospital where blood is still seen on the floor to this day. Picture everybody's now favorite villain, General NB Forrest, riding up on King Phillip to commandeer it to boot! The bodies of four of the six Confederate generals who were killed in the battle – Major General Patrick Cleburne and Brigadier Generals John Adams, Otho F. Strahl and Hiram B. Granbury, were laid out on the family’s back porch after the conclusion of the fighting.
When it became apparent that a cemetery to accommodate about 1500 Southern casualties was needed, the McGavocks responded by donating their land and supervising the transportation of the dead from the battlefield to the new burial ground. The graveyard consumed Carrie McGavock, who forever wore black, and the remnants of the family fortune until her own death at age 76. The 2005 historical novel "The Widow of the South" by author Robert Hicks renewed interest in her story.
There would be something in it for everyone! Her backstory, bloody battle, plantation field hospital, a plantation mistress/instant nurse who forever grieved for 1500 soldiers and an ongoing story of a historic cemetery. Plus, it is still there and coupled with some expert CGI could be close to authentic as possible!

1546893444715.png

Last edited:
Everyone knows the movie "Carrie" so how about "Carrie in Black" or simply "Carnton"
November 30, 1864 Union and Confederate armies clashed at "Carnton" Plantation in Franklin Tennessee for the battle of Franklin. It was one of the worst disasters of the war for the Confederates and became the defining event of Catherine Winder "Carrie" MaGavock's life...
Belle that is a wonderful description of Carnton that I'd not heard before. Wouldn't that be fantastic on the big screen!

As much as I would like to see a continuing miniseries I'm guessing a movie might make it. I thought PBS miniseries "Mercy" might have survived do to a continuing basic cast of character and no shortage of situations involving medical personal. A rotating miniseries would require to many different actors to properly fill the individuals characters involved.

Yes to NBF movies as long as they would cast someone suitable and actually have a realistic storyline. :smile:
Agreed, there is just so much great material to pull from for a NBF mini-series. Poor young boy who gets rich doing one of the worst/evil jobs in history (slave trader), then becomes a war hero only to the lose the war, fights on in a terrorist organization, only to quite that organization, and finally accepts Christ leading him to speak out against racism and hate. Oh course it could never be made in today environment…

The John Brown raid could also make for an interesting movie. A terrorist who launches an attack for a noble cause, kills innocent people and then predicts the coming bloodshed in the war to come right before he hangs…

The story of Grant would be good too, a failed slave owner who ends up leading an Army that will end slavery. Plus, you have a great love story with his wife. (this one they might actually make)

There really is a lot of great material to work with from the ACW it is shame Hollywood doesn’t do more Historical films instead of so many CGI action flicks with weak made up stories…

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)