What Civil War myth would you like to correct most?

kepi

First Sergeant
In my short time as a member here, I have looked over quite a few past posts and found several conversations and exchanges relating to myths about the Civil War or facts people just have wrong. This got me to thinking about which myth or incorrect bit of information people here may find the most troublesome, so here is my question for the group:

What Civil War myth, legend, or generally incorrect information would you like to dispel most in American popular culture? (YOU MAY ONLY PICK ONE)

Let us PLEASE be nice to each other, as I have seen this topic can get out of hand.
Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator:
The myth that the rifled musket caused a higher number of casualties. When comparing ACW battle losses to previous wars, such as the Napoleonic Wars (as has been done in other threads) than there is no significant difference to suggest the rifled musket greatly impacted casualty count. It may have changed the way things were fought to some degree, i.e. sharpshooting, skirmishing, but it obviously did not impact casualty count, as is often suggested.

Last edited:
Vote Here:
In my short time as a member here, I have looked over quite a few past posts and found several conversations and exchanges relating to myths about the Civil War or facts people just have wrong. This got me to thinking about which myth or incorrect bit of information people here may find the most troublesome, so here is my question for the group:

What Civil War myth, legend, or generally incorrect information would you like to dispel most in American popular culture? (YOU MAY ONLY PICK ONE)

Let us PLEASE be nice to each other, as I have seen this topic can get out of hand.
Thank You.

Kepi....good question. (and I changed your red to blue, as red is sort of "reserved" for moderators so civilwartalk (site owner) can see it if he needs to check something quickly.

Vote Here:
This maybe too broad, but I would suggest the "Gods and Generals" myth. All CSA generals were not knights in shinning armor or gods and all USA generals were not hard drinking, cussing, louts.

Yeah! Like Chamberlain, Ames, and Hancock...those known party boys! :smile:

Vote Here:

Thank You.

Mine are here:

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/persistent-civil-war-myths.99308/#post-867767

Vote Here:
Only pick one, hm.

Some of my favorites are already taken, so . . .

"That Davis focused too much on the eastern theater at the expense of the west."

I'm not going to say that Davis did a good job managing strategy in the west, but decisions like "Dream of Joe Johnston attacking at Dalton" are not a result of ignoring the West to focus on the East, they're just a result of mishandling things about the West.

And there is a difference.

Vote Here:
Back