What Caused the Civil War in Less Than Two Minutes

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
BillO,

In my book, getting old shows courage, cleverness, endurance, patience, foresight, prior planning, and ALL should show reverence and respect to any person who has managed to live to old age, what with life's obstacles and roadblocks that is thrown at someone on that well-worn path to old age.

But that's just this old farts opinion. :smile:

Pretty dam good video,,,,short, but hits the G-Spot. Yup. The arguments bout the cause go on and on to the point of irrrr-rationality. It is really pretty simple. Very simple. No compromise over THE ISSUE. All other disagreements between the North and South were in some way related to The Issue...the root. I tiring of all this at my age. What caused the Civil War? Hell, it is right in front of your face if you read the causes of secession penned by the seceeding states. It is really pretty simple...to be redundent. I know why this debate goes on and I do understand....but that is for another time or post. "Pride goeth before destruction"

seboyle

First Sergeant
So obviously yet another of those lefty NE academics who has drunk the Kool-Aid. The way they control the agenda is infuriating. :rolleyes:

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
THE ISSUE you can't get away from it, with all my Confederate ancestry and my pride in their valor, I have tried to do so but the bottom line is their victory would have perpetuated the abomination of slavery.
20thncarolina,

Took a lot of guts to post your comments above.

You have my sincere respect for doing so.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
BillO,

In my book, getting old shows courage, cleverness, endurance, patience, foresight, prior planning, and ALL should show reverence and respect to any person who has managed to live to old age, what with life's obstacles and roadblocks that is thrown at someone on that well-worn path to old age.

But that's just this old farts opinion. :smile:
You forgot the growing expertise in treachery.

Youth and enthusiasm will never equate experience and treachery.

Rob9641

Captain
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Ayers sounds like a Tennesseean. Good summary - thanks for posting.

Edited to add - I just checked - he was the year behind me at the University of Tennessee. No wonder he sounded so familiar.

Once again folks are confusing secession and war here. They are two different animals and certainly were not inexorably linked. I know this flies in the face of "conventional wisdom" but such "wisdom" is simply wrong. Yes slavery was one cause of secession (of the first seven States to secede anyway) but secession can't be seen as the proximate cause of the war unless secession had to lead inexorably to war.

Well did secession necessarily have to mean war? If you look at the overall history of secession wold wide the answer becomes very clear; of course not.

Yes, the cause of the war is very clear and very simple. Lincoln et.al. chose to deliberately provoke the war (and yes ole abe said as much himself). To deny this is to deny patent fact and call ole abe a liar.

You can argue that slavery was the one and only cause of secession if you want you can even argue that Lincoln was somehow "forced" to deliberately provoke the war but you can't argue that secession and war are or were one and the same. If they were then the war would have commenced on December 20, 1860.

Political antagnonism is one thing
Secession is another
and War is different than both
But all are linked.

Slavery was the instigator of the first, the cause of the second , and cannot be seperated from the last. It was the cause.

Are you saying that secession lead inexorably to war and that Lincoln and company had no choice but to deliberately provoke war?
Considering their philosophy that unilateral secession was illegal and could not be permitted then, yes, I believe that war was inevitable. It was just a matter of when and where but it was going to happen. Lincoln simply could not allow the Union to be broken up.

R

Potomac Pride

First Sergeant
The video is very interesting and contains relevant material. However, the issue of slavery wasn't the only cause of the Civil War. People like to have simple answers to questions but a complex event like the Civil War can't necessarily be explained by a single reason.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)