Votes: 14 7.1%
  • Johnny Come Lately

Votes: 13 6.6%
  • Billy Blue Boy

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Pot Stirrers

Votes: 5 2.6%

• Total voters
I thought it might be interesting to run a little poll and see how all ya'll feel about your personal heritage and the American Civil War. I discribe seven buckets below.

What bucket do you fall into?

True Southerner. Someone who's ancestors fought for the Confederacy and is strongly alligned with Southern ideologies.

True Northerner. Someone who's ancestors fought for the Union and is strongly alligned with Northern ideologies.

Copper Head. Someone who's ancestors may or may not have fought for the Union but is alligned with Southern ideologies.

Blue Belly. Someone who's ancestors may or may not have fought for the Confederacy but is alligned with Northern ideologies.

Johnny Come Lately. Someone who's ancestors did not fight in the war but is alligned with Southern ideologies.

Billy Blue Boy. Someone who's ancestors did not fight in the war but is alligned with Northern ideologies.

Pot Stirrers. Somebody that doesn't know about his ancestors or doesn't care about his heritage and is just trying to argue for arguement's sake.

One more bucket

And yet another for Late Arrival Mason Dixon Straddlers: No ancestors in the war, see's strengths and weaknesses in both ideologies.

TomH

Tough call. In my book, if you don't want to stay, you know where the door is. But then again, if your dog is pooping on my lawn, I'm chasing you and your dog away...possibly shoveling the poop in your direction with as much velocity as possibly. I'm also pretty good at listening in and getting the dirt on both sides of an issue or debate. Finally, I try to avoid arguments, but then again, I am darn good once I get in one because all I care about is winning it. ...guess that makes me a pot stirrer...

Bart :thumbsup:

Canada, even though none of my kinfolk are from there. I dated a pretty gal who lives in Ottawa, does that count?

How bout a tired scrapper who would like nothing better than to **** in the pool of the politicians of both sides and share a toast w/ the fighting men of both as well..

Ozark Iron John,

How about a container that had ancestors who fought on BOTH sides during the Civil War?

Or maybe it just ain't going to be that easy to figure out who's who in your little survey.:laugh1:

Sincerely,
Unionblue

I'm a SOB "Son of Both"

Although I do lean to the southern side a liitle bit.. I do respect my federal relatives just the same as I do my confederates.

So heres I'm joing Shane in the Pee pool party..

so heres to the common soldier fighting on both sides..
:beer:
regards,
Steven

Im half German and half American my Dads side had ancestors who fought for the north and rumored that I had a ancestor named Gen. John Peabody Estey who was in comand of C. H, 1st Ohio Infantry (i think)

So as yall see my belly is blue. :smile:

No Bucket

None of the buckets, which is an advantage. I can study why the Confederates lost, and why the Union forces won, and not have any personal connection interest in either side.
My Prussian relatives came over immediately after the war, in that first decade. My Irish side settled in the North perhaps just before the war, but I've found no connection with the Civil War.
Grandma never mentioned any Civil War veteran.

midwest boy

My father's family settled in Iowa in the early 19th century. They were Church of the Betheren and they came from Barvaria. My mother's family came to the U.S. in the form of my great great grandfather, Kaspar Pirgir (cool name, inso?) in 1830. Later changed to Pilger. He was from Bohemia. I lived in Arkansas for 18 years (go Razorbacks) and Florida for three (sorry folks, didn't like it there at all). So, you might say, I've got a good perspective. I'm back in Wisconsin now (nice!). My great great uncle was in the 6th Wisconsin. My loyalties lie in the Midwest. I've tried getting Minnesota and Wisconsin to secede; (yeah, the UP, too) but no luck...ha!

Calicoboy

All:

I was thinking about this poll the other day and there's something that I find strange about the results. There's a whole heck of a lot more of US now than there was back then. There's a whole heck of a lot more US who don't have any ties to the past at all. Why is it there's so many "True Southerner" and "True Northerner" respondants to this poll and not so many "Johnny Come Latelies" and "Billy Blue Boys"? Are we really such a small niche group?

I apologize for not including a bucket for those of US who had ancestors who fought on both sides of the war. I admit, I would fall into that bucket myownself.

There's a whole heck of a lot more US who don't have any ties to the past at all. Why is it there's so many "True Southerner" and "True Northerner" respondants to this poll and not so many "Johnny Come Latelies" and "Billy Blue Boys"? Are we really such a small niche group?
I didn't respond, John, because I don't join groups, don't respond well to group-think, and don't play well with others.
Ole

Back