What Brigade did Cpt. Andrew J. McGonnigle lead at Cedar Creek?

Hey folks,

I came around the Medal of Honor citation for Captain Andrew Jackson McGonnigle (1829-1901) for the Battle of Cedar Creek. McGonnigle was serving as Chief Quartermaster of Sheridan's Army of the Shenandoah during the campaign, however his MoH citation (awarded in 1897) reads:

The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to Captain & Assistant Quartermaster Andrew Jackson McGonnigle, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism on 19 October 1864, while serving with U.S. Volunteers, in action at Cedar Creek, Virginia. While acting chief quartermaster of General Sheridan's forces operating in the Shenandoah Valley, Captain McGonnigle was severely wounded while voluntarily leading a brigade of infantry and was commended for the greatest gallantry by General Sheridan.

Now of course it occasionally happened that a staff officer got assigned to temporarily command a unit in battle though I´d say rather seldomly for a quartermaster. Nonetheless it would seem plausible that a brigade command and a service being commended by the army commander himself and eventually resulting in a Medal of Honor would be somewhat documented in the reports. However with a quick search through the respective volume in the ORs (Vol. XVIII, Part 1), McGonnigle being included numerous times, I found nothing in regards to him commanding a brigade, no details at all, which I find rather strange. Of course leading could be used here in the sense of guiding instead of commanding, don´t know. Still there should be something about which brigade, the situation and eventually even about his wounding. A short online search brought nothing and I have no books about Cedar Creek either.

So, by chance anybody in the know?