What Aspect of the Civil War Interests You Most?

writing_woman_02.gif

Members of CWT and visitors to the site are likely interested in the Civil War. We have discussed in another thread why we first became interested in the topic. So, what aspect of the Civil War interests you most? Respond to the poll and then elaborate in a post. There seems to be a theory that guys are drawn to the military aspect and females are drawn to the people. Let’s try and find out if that’s true here at CWT.

I realize the poll choices are narrow in scope. That’s why posting a response is so important. :smile:

For me, it's definitely the people and their stories. Since Im researching a specific regiment, its usually people and stories closely associated - like their regiment, brigade or division. But, sometimes, I get intrigued by someone else - in another corps, or army, or on the other side of the conflict - and run down that rabbit hole for a while until Ive satisfied my curiosity. And then its back to Longstreet's corps. :D

Vote Here:
For me, it's definitely the people and their stories. Since Im researching a specific regiment, its usually people and stories closely associated - like their regiment, brigade or division. But, sometimes, I get intrigued by someone else - in another corps, or army, or on the other side of the conflict - and run down that rabbit hole for a while until Ive satisfied my curiosity. And then its back to Longstreet's corps. :D
lelliott19. Progress Report: How is your regimental history book coming? I cannot wait to read it. If you are looking for an independent person to look over your manuscript I would be more than happy to help you? David.

Vote Here:
Ellie. I love learning about the strategy and tactics employed by various generals in the different battles and campaigns in both theatres of the war. I enjoy reading the commanders letters to their wives and siblings and analyzing their mindset in order to determine the reasoning behind their different military decisions. David.

Vote Here:
As a child I loved the battle aspect, as a 35 year old man with a family I prefer the "how things were done" and "what did they use". Most days I am doing something as it relates to this time period. Whether tinsmithing, making tents, or other daily items such as boot blacking and leather preservative. That is what I enjoy. I still enjoy reenactments, but I enjoy being around a group of friends that share a love of history more than going out and fighting the battles. But the battles are why people show up, there fore it is a necessary evil I suppose.

Vote Here:
I can't think of anything I'm not interested in . The military aspects; armies , regiments , weapons , the common soldier , political intrigue among the officers , strategy and tactics , etc. The civilians; the social customs , slavery , free blacks , women's roles , how big was a typical farm in Pennsylvania or Virginia or Maryland ? , what crops were grown ? , dealing with the aftermath of battle , what did people eat ? , etc. I try to learn as much as I can so I can understand what it was like to the best of my ability . That is why these forums are so helpful and (usually) enjoyable .

Vote Here:
My primary interest is the war in the areas of East TN. and Kentucky and other border areas. Where it was an intercine conflict. The people and how families were split. Both unionist and rebs use the same stock phrases for their neighbor enemies. " Guerrillas and Mounted Robbers." Mostly as in the case of TN. National Guard USA. They were enrolled, uniform combatants. That also applies when unionist call Ben E. Caudill , JS Mosby or John Hunt Morgan guerillas. The hard feelings were a long time going away.
TnFed.

Vote Here:
Members of CWT and visitors to the site are likely interested in the Civil War. We have discussed in another thread why we first became interested in the topic. So, what aspect of the Civil War interests you most? Respond to the poll and then elaborate in a post. There seems to be a theory that guys are drawn to the military aspect and females are drawn to the people. Let’s try and find out if that’s true here at CWT.

I realize the poll choices are narrow in scope. That’s why posting a response is so important. :smile:

At first, as a boy, my entire interest was in the battles and how they unfolded. Later, I became interested in key individuals on both sides (I cannot begin to describe my distress at how vilely R.E. Lee is considered by so many). Then, it was the common soldier who caught my fascination as I began to truly understand what a charnel house civil war combat was -- how could they ever go into combat after surviving their first experience of it? What motivated them? Yet later, it was how the war was survived on the southern homefront, the civilians who found the war arriving at their front porches, most particularly, those living along the routes of the different "hard war" marches and those living in the god awful chaos of the guerilla war along the Arkansas/Missouri and Tennesse/Kentucky border areas. That still holds my attention very much, but to it I've added a sincere "agnostic" desire to understand what people were thinking at the time, how they saw their world, how they understood the American compact and how they justified continuing to engage (or resist) the war.

Vote Here:
My primary interest is what happened on the battlefield. Obviously, that also means the study of people and of leadership.

It feels to me as though many professional historians have grown tired of the study of the actual campaigns and fighting and that is why so many are now reaching out to study new fields related to the War. That's fine, the more we know the better off we are and the wider the field of study, the more inclusive we become. That will help attract more folks to the study of the war era and that is a very good thing.

I can not get myself beyond what happened on the battlefields. Simple decisions, made under duress, made differences that our society still feels today and I revel in the opportunity to walk those fields with maps and notebooks in the hope of understanding what happened. I've stood on Hill 1 at Horseshoe Ridge, on Little Round Top and at the Mule Shoe. I've seen the cornfield at Antietam and the fields of the battles of Bull Run. I look with great enthusiasm and walk with respect in the footsteps of giants.

Vote Here:
The military aspect just fascinates me with the interplay of tactics and hardware evolving as the War progressed. I am not forgetting the human side even though humans have fought since the Garden of Eden with Cain and Abel.
Regards
David

Vote Here:
At first, as a boy, my entire interest was in the battles and how they unfolded. Later, I became interested in key individuals on both sides (I cannot begin to describe my distress at how vilely R.E. Lee is considered by so many). Then, it was the common soldier who caught my fascination as I began to truly understand what a charnel house civil war combat was -- how could they ever go into combat after surviving their first experience of it? What motivated them? Yet later, it was how the war was survived on the southern homefront, the civilians who found the war arriving at their front porches, most particularly, those living along the routes of the different "hard war" marches and those living in the god awful chaos of the guerilla war along the Arkansas/Missouri and Tennesse/Kentucky border areas. That still holds my attention very much, but to it I've added a sincere "agnostic" desire to understand what people were thinking at the time, how they saw their world, how they understood the American compact and how they justified continuing to engage (or resist) the war.
Georgia Sixth...Cavalry or Infantry?

Vote Here:
My reading interests range all over the landscape: science, engineering, sports, languages, history, literature - you name it. I hit upon CWT by accident during one of my daily wanderings over the Internet in search of answers and was impressed by the caliber of the posts, suggesting minds that would help fill the many blanks in my education.

The CW books and non-CW books are my favorite forums because of the wide range of interests displayed by members, which focus my reading on the weakest points in my knowledge, but I review the New Posts daily for anything on the ACW that looks exciting and edifying.

Vote Here:
Back