What are the best books on the Eastern theater of the Civil War? (including books on single battles)

Notocraptus

Cadet
I'm going to a few soon, so I need to get a bunch of books to read about the topic. Specifically for the latter, Jackson's Shenandoah campaign, Gettysburg, Antietam, Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg, and Spotsylvania Courthouse.

Jamieva

Captain
Forum Host
For Jackson’s valley campaign….Shenandoah 1862 by Peter Cozzens
Fredericksburg ….Winter war on the Rappahannock by Francis O’Reilly
Chancellorsville by Sears
Spotsyvlania and wilderness are both Gordon rhea

there is an entire thread on Gettysburg books there are many to choose from. Same for Antietam. For Antietam I am partial to Landscape Turned Red by Sears

rpkennedy

Lt. Colonel
Member of the Year

there is an entire thread on Gettysburg books there are many to choose from. Same for Antietam. For Antietam I am partial to Landscape Turned Red by Sears

Seconded all around.

Ryan

joshrobmere

Private
Gary Gallagher has edited a bunch of essay collections on various battles in the east. I enjoyed the volumes on Antietam and Gettysburg. If you are visiting battlefields, I recommend the guides from the Emerging Civil War series.

Joshism

2nd Lieutenant

My thoughts exactly on all books.

Shenandoah 1862 is particularly excellent. Cozzens doesn't fall for the Stonewall mystique so he gives a refreshingly even-handed analysis. He also covers Jackson's activities back to the winter preceding the campaign.