NF What are the best books on the Atlanta Campaign?

Non-Fiction
Hess just recently published a book on Peach Tree Creek though I haven't read it yet. I definitely recommend his others on Kennesaw Mountain and Ezra Church.

I second the Hess recommendations. I'm reading the Ezra Church one now and am having a hard time putting it down. Although I've got some other books to read after this one, I may push them down the list and go buy the Kennesaw Mountain and Peach Tree Creek books this week!

Calling @Eric Wittenberg. Eric have you written anything on the cavalry during Sherman's Atlanta Campaign? Also, what do you think of David Evans' book: "Sherman's Horseman"? Thank You in advance. David.

David,

No, I haven't. The Evans book is so good that for the phase of the campaign it covers, it's the standard reference. It's one of the best books of the last twenty years, hands down.

The problem is that only covers about half of the campaign. I hope--but do not know where he is--that he will do the second volume and cover the second half of the campaign.

The Day Dixie Died: The Battle of Atlanta. Gary Ecelbarger
First of all let me say that this was a good, easy to read book. I also realize that when ever an author is dealing with a large battle and is looking at two armies as a whole, things can be over looked. Based on my own research, I do not agree with one of the Conclusions Ecelbarger makes regarding one of the Confederate Divisions. I have also obtained a copy of his referenced material that he cited for his conclusion and just don't see anything in it that would prove what he is saying. Having said all of that, I can't name a better book for the Battle of Atlanta.

David,

No, I haven't. The Evans book is so good that for the phase of the campaign it covers, it's the standard reference. It's one of the best books of the last twenty years, hands down.

The problem is that only covers about half of the campaign. I hope--but do not know where he is--that he will do the second volume and cover the second half of the campaign.
Perhaps if Evans is unable to complete this project maybe you could take it on. I think you could produce a work just as worthy as his. Thanks for you attention and response to my question. David.

Does anyone have an opinion on the books Earl J. Hess, Robert D. Jenkins, and Gary Ecelbarger on specific battles. I'm also looking for books on the battles of Utoy Creek, Jonesboro, and Allatoona. It seems Russell S. Bonds' War Like the Thunderbolt comes the closest to covering the last battles and the city's fall.

The four books, regarding the Atlanta Campaign, that I really liked the most are 1)- "The Siege of Atlanta; 1864" by Samuel Carter III. 2)- "The Last train from Atlanta", by A. A. Hoehling. 3)- "Sherman's Horsemen: Union Cavalry Operations in the Atlanta Campaign" by David Evans, which in my opinion is the absolute best book regarding Cavalry Operations during the Atlanta Campaign. 4)- "Sherman`s March" by Burke Davis which covers Sherman`s Fall March of 1864 through Georgia, from Atlanta to Savannah.

Last edited:
The four books, regarding the Atlanta Campaign, that I really liked the most are 1)- "The Siege of Atlanta; 1864" by Samuel Carter III. 2)- "The Last train from Atlanta", by A. A. Hoehling. 3)- "Sherman's Horsemen: Union Cavalry Operations in the Atlanta Campaign" by David Evans, which in my opinion is the absolute best book regarding Cavalry Operations during the Atlanta Campaign. 4)- "Sherman`s March" by Burke Davis which covers Sherman`s Fall March of 1864 through Georgia, from Atlanta to Savannah.
I really enjoyed Last Train.

I like Castel for the overall campaign. I've picked up Hess' books on Peachtree Creek and Kennesaw, but haven't read them yet. Ecelbarger's book about Ezra Church is quite good.

Stephen Davis has a couple of small studies on the campaign published through Savas Beattie.
I am glad you mentioned those 2 because I was about to. They are part of the Emerging Civil War Series. Great starter books on the Atlanta Campaign for a new reader. I have both,signed by Stephen Davis. I read the first one as preparation for a short visit to Dalton, Tunnel Hill and Resaca last October.

Hess just recently published a book on Peach Tree Creek, although I haven't read it yet. I definitely recommend his others on Kennesaw Mountain and Ezra Church.

Ecelbarger's study of the battle of Atlanta, The Day Dixie Died, is good. He also published a book on Ezra Church not long ago.

Battle of Pickett's Mill: Along the Dead Line by Brad Butkovich is a good book on that battle. It's one of the Civil War Sesquicentennial series but it's pretty detailed and contains good maps.

Along with his book on Peach Tree Creek, Robert D. Jenkins has also authored To the Gates of Atlanta, which covers the period from the retreat from Kennesaw Mountain leading up to Peach Tree Creek.

William R. Scaife also has a history of the campaign, The Campaign for Atlanta. It's a bit dated now but still noted for its good maps.

I knew Bill Scaife and have all his books. He was a retired architect and his maps are magnificent. He was a native of the Atlanta area and was considered "the" expert on the Atlanta campaign. His grandfather and my great-grandfather served together as medical officers in the 9th Texas Infantry.

Reactions: AUG
I am also interested in books on the individual battles. I should have said that.

Have you read: "the Battles of New Hope Church" (2010), written by Russell W. Blount Jr.? It covers the three distinct battles fought between 25 May 1864 and 1 Jun 1864, which includes a string of smaller cavalry battles and skirmishes that merged into each other as Sherman`s Army pushed Johnston`s Army of Tennessee closer and closer to the City of Atlanta in general retreat. The aggregate is called the battle of Dallas. The component engagements are frequently elevated into battles of their own right: New Hope Church (25-26 May), Pickett`s Mill also known as Pumpkin Vine Creek (27 May) and Dallas (28 May).

It was said the(se) Battle(s) of New Hope Church were the hardest and bloodiest fought by both sides during the Atlanta Campaign. I thought it was a very good read and got a great deal out of it. If you have not read it I highly recommend it to you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1589807480/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

Have you read: "the Battles of New Hope Church" (2010), written by Russell W. Blount Jr.? It covers the three distinct battles fought between 25 May 1864 and 1 Jun 1864, which includes a string of smaller cavalry battles and skirmishes that merged into each other as Sherman`s Army pushed Johnston`s Army of Tennessee closer and closer to the City of Atlanta in general retreat. The aggregate is called the battle of Dallas. The component engagements are frequently elevated into battles of their own right: New Hope Church (25-26 May), Pickett`s Mill also known as Pumpkin Vine Creek (27 May) and Dallas (28 May).

It was said the(se) Battle(s) of New Hope Church were the hardest and bloodiest fought by both sides during the Atlanta Campaign. I thought it was a very good read and got a great deal out of it. If you have not read it I highly recommend it to you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1589807480/?tag=civilwartalkc-20
Thanks.

Back