Chickamauga What are the best books about the Battle of Chickamauga?

Luke2

Cadet
I'm looking for some new books about the battle of Chickamauga. Can anyone recommend some for me. Thank you!

Both Cozzens & Powell are very good in my opinion. However, this is still my favorite (said only slightly in jest.... This was my introduction to the battle at age 10 & I still reread it frequently).

https://www.google.com/search?q=civ...&ved=0ahUKEwiNusDkm4DYAhVl7YMKHRmADN4QgjYIvQQ
There is a real good biography of General George Thomas " George Thomas Virginian for the Union" the authors last name is Einholf. A fair amount of information on Chickumungua.
We have a member who wrote a detailed biography of General Rosecrans show name escapes me at the moment. I think his last name is Moor?
Different biographers of the various major generals most likely will have different opinions.For example there is some new thinking on General Bragg.
Leftyhunter

Last edited:
The first in depth book on Chickamauga was Glenn Tucker's book "Chickamauga",it has been around for many years so you should be able to buy it used for a dollar or two.
Turchin'so book is also old,old in public domain as is Archibald Gracie'so book but his is mostly on Horseshoe Ridge.Willich's also has a book in public domain.
The old Newspaper the National Tribune has about 250 articles on the battle with the best being a three week series that was written by Wm.S.Rosecrans,his only record of the battle outside of the O.R.'s.
James Longstreet also has a good article also.
The 5 Powell books is really the way to go though with Vol.III having a great appendix of resources of books,article and websites to manuscripts and diaries.

Last edited:
Back