What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I just finished Newton Martin Curtis' From Bull Run to Chancellorsville which is the regimental history of the 16th New York. Interestingly, Curtis was the commander of Company G, in which all of my relatives in the 16th served. It's a good read but after Antietam, he relies a great deal on what others wrote because he had been appointed lieutenant colonel of the 142nd New York. But I did learn some insight into what my uncles went through.

I'm not sure what I'm going to read next though.

R

Vote Here:
The Civil War and New York City by Ernest A McKay. One of those books that has been at the bottom of the pile for several years but I am now about 60 pages into it and have to say it is really interesting and well written . Why didn't I get round to it sooner?

Vote Here:
I will be asking for Shelby Foote's trilogy. If I am very good my wife may buy it for my birthday :smile:

Just finishing Book 1 of Foote's trilogy now. I'm hoping to make it over to Vicksburg this summer so want to start reading some books on that campaign soon. Anyone here read "Champion Hill: Decisive Battle for Vicksburg" by Timothy Smith and if so how is it?

Vote Here:
Just finished, "Bentonville: The Final Battle of Sherman and Johnston," by Hughes.

Last night I started "This Terrible Sound," by Peter Cozzens. Its about the battle of Chickamauga (700 pgs). I had four ancestors on the Union side there.....three on the Reb side so this should be a really good one to read.

On deck....."Jefferson Davis in Blue: Life of Sherman's Relentless Warrior," by Nathaniel Hughes. My gg uncle had a lot of dealings with him so that one should be interesting.

Vote Here:
Just finishing Book 1 of Foote's trilogy now. I'm hoping to make it over to Vicksburg this summer so want to start reading some books on that campaign soon. Anyone here read "Champion Hill: Decisive Battle for Vicksburg" by Timothy Smith and if so how is it?

I have read Champion Hill, and it's simply one of the finest battle studies I've ever seen. Highly recommended.

Vote Here:
I picked up "the civil war day by day an almanac!" a while ago but haven't really looked at it. Is it a useful peice of literature?
I find these kind of almanacs to be a useful quick reference. I have The Civil War Almanac edited by John S. Bowman published in 1982 by Bison Books Corp. It is forwarded by Henry Steele Commager and includes sections on weapon of the Civil War, Naval Warfare and Biographies, in addition to a day-by-day chronology. Recommended.

Vote Here:
I have four ordered from Amazon on the way now:
"Reluctant Rebels: The Confederates Who Joined the Army after 1861"- By Kenneth W. Noe
"The Rashness of That Hour: Politics, Gettysburg, and the Downfall of Confederate Brigadier General Alfred Iverson"- By Robert Wynstra

"A Carolinian Goes to War: The Civil War Narrative of Arthur Middleton Manigault, Brigadier General, C.S.A."- By Tower R. Lockwood

"Footprints of a Regiment: A Recollection of the 1st Georgia Regulars, 1861-1865" - W.H. Andrews

Vote Here:
Just finishing Book 1 of Foote's trilogy now. I'm hoping to make it over to Vicksburg this summer so want to start reading some books on that campaign soon.

Another Vicksburg book I'd highly, highly recommend is Warren Grabau's Ninety-Eight Days. For its you-are-there perspectives and detailed attention to the battlefields, I don't think it can be surpassed.

Vote Here:
I think I need a really good book on Gettysburg. I know there are about a gazillion written but I want one good modern book on the battle. I want troop movements and lots of maps without a lot of editorializing about what it all means. I want one good one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Vote Here:
I think I need a really good book on Gettysburg. I know there are about a gazillion written but I want one good modern book on the battle. I want troop movements and lots of maps without a lot of editorializing about what it all means. I want one good one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Bill, I haven't got it yet, but on my short list. The Gettysburg Campaign: A Study in Command by Edwin B Coddington may be a good one. I have had several people whose opinion I trust on the subject say it is the best. Ted.

Vote Here:
Back