What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

looking to get ed bearrs 3 volume set on Vicksburg.just got through reading "Receding tide"by him. i think he probably knows more about vicksburg then anyone.trick is to find the 3 volume set at the right pric.

IMHO, it's worth the price. The only thing I can compare it to is The Lord of the Rings, with Rebel Victory at Vicksburg as a prequel a la The Hobbit. :D

In both senses... the Bearss trilogy gets so detailed that one almost needs to take notes to keep track of everybody, so in a way they're books to be studied rather than read.

Vote Here:
My to-read list is quite long, thanks to a lucrative Christmas book-acquisition season.

I'm currently finishing Timothy B. Smith's Corinth, 1862: Siege, Battle, Occupation.

Next on my list is the regimental history of the 14th Ohio Volunteer Infantry (my great-great-grandpa's unit). This was extremely hard to find for a long time, but an enterprising member of the Toledo Round Table, Kathleen A. Jones, has republished it on lulu.com, along with additional research on the unit.

I just ordered the three books on Henry Halleck: Stephen Ambrose's Halleck: Lincoln's Chief of Staff, Curt Anders' Henry Halleck's War, and John F. Marszalek's Commander of All Lincoln's Armies: A Life of General Henry W. Halleck.

Also on the to-read list, in no particular order:

Myers, Phillip E. Caution and Cooperation: The American Civil War in British-American Relations

Oviatt, Miles M. A Civil War Marine at Sea: The Diary of Medal of Honor Recipient Miles M. Oviatt

Ragan, Mark K. Submarine Warfare In The Civil War

Barratt, Peter. Circle of Fire: The Story of the USS Susquehanna in the War of the Rebellion

Turner, Maxine. Navy Gray: Engineering the Confederate Navy on the Chattahoochee and Appalachicola Rivers

Symonds, Craig L. (ed.) Charleston Blockade: The Journals of John B. Marchand, U.S. Navy 1861-1862

Melton, Maurice. The Best Station of Them All: The Savannah Squadron, 1861-1865

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

ETA: Spotted Carl D. Park's Ironclad Down: USS Merrimack-CSS Virginia from Construction to Destruction at Half Price Books. Added to the list...

Vote Here:
North Carolina Troops, 1861-1865: A Roster, Vol. VI, Infantry, compiled by Weymouth T. Jordan, Jr.

I am doing research on the 18th NC Infantry and will give a program on part 1 (of at least a 2 part series) later this month.

Vote Here:
When finished with One Continuous Fight, recommend Retreat From Gettysburg, by Kent Masterson Brown. The 2 books compliment each other in that they cover the retreat differently. Brown goes with a logistical view, while Wittenberg covers the fighting during the retreat.
Will start Cozzen's "This Terrible Sound" with the Sunday night discussion group on Feb 10. At least the group will start it, I will join in, unless I have the same issues with the right eye as I did with the left eye, after Cataract surgery on the 24th.
Sunday should find me starting Point Lookout Prison Camp for Confederates, after I finish The Liberators, by Hirsh.
With the tues book group, finding Lance Herdegen's comments with our discussion of "The Iron Brigade in Civil War and Memory" interesting and helpful in the reading of his book.
Mobile how ya been? tell me more about the Discussion Group

Vote Here:
just finished a short book,"Frank Vizetelly,the Confederacys secret weapon" and am in the middle of Donald Phanzs' Richard S Ewell.Going to something about the Blockade Runners and some more stuff on Forrest.

Vote Here:
Alas, I tend to acquire 'em quicker than I can read 'em. I blame our kids... :D

I blame my Kindle :O o: I'm currently reading Margaret Leech's "Reveille in Washington" about the war years in our Nation's capitol and plan to read John Schildt's "Frederick in the Civil War: Battle and Honor in the Spired City" but that could change!

Vote Here:
I really enjoyed reading Margaret Leech's "Reveille in Washington." It is truly a classic and won a Nobel Prize for literature. It is a great look into the historic events in Washington during the war and is loaded with anecdotes and gossip that one does not ordinarily read about.

Vote Here:
I've gotten to love Google play's free books. I've downloaded a bunch of old memiors to read what those who were there said. They vary in accuracy and, frankly, literary quality but they certainly give new insights, and they are FREE.

Vote Here:
I just finished reading a new book on the Civil War titled "We Have the War Upon Us: The Onset of the Civil War, Nov. 1860-April 1861" by William J. Cooper. The book discusses the failure of the political system to find a sectional compromise over the expansion of slavery into the territories which eventually led to the start of the war. Until the Civil War, the country had always found a way to reach a compromise over issues that divided different sections of the country. However, the compromise process broke down in 1861 which ended in tragedy. It is an excellent book and the author is a history professor at LSU.

Vote Here:
Back