What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

May be the most “readable” book In my collection. Waugh takes you through this legendary class from the first day on campus, through the Mexican War, and on to the heartbreak of facing each other in the “late War”.It is fascinating to learn of their little cliques and romps in their freshman year, obviously without regard to the future North/South allegiances....⭐⭐⭐⭐View attachment 418781
View attachment 418782
This is on my list! My very long list... :D
My Dad actually surprised me with this book on my birthday last year. I've just got so many others on the list before it, haha.
Not to mention, there are books I need to read to further my research. Next one on the research book list is Phantom Pains: North Carolina's Artificial Limb Program For Confederate Veterans, by A. H. Wegner.

Phantom Pain.jpg

Vote Here:
A friend lent me a book that I just got around to reading on an airplane trip. The Lost Gettysburg Address, by David T. Dixon. I never knew there was a third orator, but there was. Charles Anderson, brother of Robert Anderson of Ft. Sumter fame. The origin of the book was the author’s chance acquisition of the manuscript of a speech (among many other papers) from a descendant of Anderson. He managed to validate it as the one delivered by Anderson at Gettysburg. He then wrote the full story around a biography of Anderson, who I must say is a very fascinating man. It is a good read, just over 200 pages, well sourced and the third Gettysburg address is published in full.

As I read more and more biographies from the era a common theme I see is how intertwined all the lives of the the major players of the CW, North and South, were in the antebellum period.

I suppose I should make a small confession to ease my conscience. The airplane trip was 3 weeks ago. Absent minded me left the book in the plane. I am finishing it now because I had to find and order another copy. At least my friend will receive back the book inscribed by the author. A pleasant surprise as it was not listed as an inscribed copy.

Vote Here:
I'm about half way through this account of the US Congress in the decades leading up to the CW. Meticulously researched and fun to read, packed with "who knew that?" moments, consider checking it out.

View attachment 420098
I read that book. It was a very interesting account of legislative violence in Congress even before the Brooks-Sumner Affair

Vote Here:
There's a new biography of Admiral David Farragut that will be released tomorrow titled Full Speed Ahead! America's first Admiral: David Glasgow Farragut by Louise Borden.
Farragut is another one that should be checked out as a statue. There are some nice ones of him about, but St Gaudens' take on him, somewhere in NYC is TOP 10.

Vote Here:
Just finished this last night. Always been a fan of the Great Locomotive Chase, and hearing Pittenger's detailed account of it further was a fun read, indeed. Not too long, with a good flow to it, and talked a lot about the chase, and of the many different prisons the raiders all ended up in, and life in it. Highly recommend!

1636057393218.png

Vote Here:
Here’s one I’m reading now....View attachment 420780
A part of our country and culture that I had little knowledge of, but much interest. This author was such a master of prose, he reminded me alittle of W.J. Cash.
I've purchased this one, but have yet to read it. I grabbed it especially for the part on the Blalocks.

Vote Here:
Just finished this last night. Always been a fan of the Great Locomotive Chase, and hearing Pittenger's detailed account of it further was a fun read, indeed. Not too long, with a good flow to it, and talked a lot about the chase, and of the many different prisons the raiders all ended up in, and life in it. Highly recommend!

View attachment 420781
I am not sure where I read about how General Mitchell picked Anderson and his group, but it did cover the experience of their journey southward to meet up in Georgia for the heist. They came into the south from Kentucky I believe and splitting up into small parties and taking different routes. I have found in the Official Records the written report of one of those men who wrote to Washington for himself and one other accomplice after returning from the failed attempt and capture. If you are interested, I posted it on a thread about the Locomotive Train Robbery. I can possibly find it if so.
Lubliner.

Vote Here:
I am not sure where I read about how General Mitchell picked Anderson and his group, but it did cover the experience of their journey southward to meet up in Georgia for the heist. They came into the south from Kentucky I believe and splitting up into small parties and taking different routes. I have found in the Official Records the written report of one of those men who wrote to Washington for himself and one other accomplice after returning from the failed attempt and capture. If you are interested, I posted it on a thread about the Locomotive Train Robbery. I can possibly find it if so.
Lubliner.
All the details are in this, probably the proverbial last word about the incident:

Vote Here:
Back