What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I'm in the final chapters of "Pickett's Charge - The Last Attack at Gettysburg" by Earl Hess. Excellent book, more history should be written this way. There's very little editorial comment by the author, though we do get a little. For the most part it's facts about the units who were involved in the charge on both sides, a brief description of their commanders and war record up to that point, and descriptions of what they experienced before, during and after the charge. All of this is interspersed with accounts by those who were there that day, describing what they saw. When accounts conflict they are examined against others, and when the author believes that someone's memory has gaps, or that they twisted the facts for their benefit, he says so and explains why he reached that conclusion. There are photos of many of the commanders on both sides, and various maps showing where the units were as the charge progressed. It really is an excellent bit of historical writing.
I was wondering if you have read this one by George R. Stewart ? Have had for a few years but never read it....
D3A04D95-696B-4D7C-B573-628359871096.jpeg

Vote Here:
Last Train from Atlanta by A. A. Hoehling. Will start discussing this book in my online book group.
Always enjoy A. A. Hoehling's "you are there" perspective in his writings. Started but not finished "Last Train", not because it wasn't interesting. Have a bad habit of putting a book down and not getting back to it for a while. Need to get back to it and finish.

Vote Here:
I would love to buy "Mr. Lincoln's Army" by Bruce Catton.

Is it difficult to read?
I wanted to buy Shelby Foote's books but his style and prose is too difficult for my English level.
Im really enjoying it love his writing style.
shiloh was a great read .
I’m a slow reader so the 200 or so pages of Shiloh was ideal for me.
The thousands in this trilogy definitely a major task for me

Vote Here:
Just started "Rebels in the Making: The Secession Crisis and the Birth of the Confederacy" by William Barney. He is describing the social and political climates in all the slave states and what led the 11 to secede and fight. It is very interesting so far.

Vote Here:
I just picked up Old Abe. It's a short and easy read and it is a great fictional piece about his years in office. You experience the joy, the laughter, the sorrow, the politics (a little), the tragedy of personal loss, and of course, the war.

I highly recommend it.

View attachment 409396
I’m going to have to check this out and thanks for the recommendation. My favorite fictional account of Abe is Gore Vidal’s Lincoln.

Vote Here:
Back