What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Just received for a Father's Day gift Pirates of the Chesapeake Bay: From the Colonial Era to the Oyster Wars by James L.H. Goodall.

Not a Civil War book at all but it does have a short chapter about some Confederate commerce raiding in the Chesapeake Bay region.
I grew up on the James River, just a few miles up river from the entrance to Chesapeake Bay. Back in the 1960's those oyster wars were ongoing occurrences between creekers that had staked out parts of the river, property rights for generations of families. Sometimes another family would overstep the boundary stakes and feuds of violence and bloodshed were the results. We would read about it in the newspaper quite often. I hope you enjoy the book.
Lubliner.

Vote Here:
I'll be reading
Final Battles of Petersburg Campaign: Breaking Backbone of the Rebellion, A. Wilson Greene

And 2 Fathers Day gifts:
The Maps of Antietam: An Atlas of the Antietam (Sharpsburg) Campaign, Bradley M. Gottfried
The Maryland Campaign of September 1862. Volume II: Antietam, General Ezra A. Carman

Vote Here:
I misunderstood. you're saying you ordered it but haven't received it. Apologizes for reading but not comprehending.

It's out of stock and I'm waiting for the kindle version but that hasn't been made available yet.

Is there a way to delete a post I make that I wish to withdraw or is it out here forever?
For some reason, Amazon seems to always lag on the release of books from the Kansas press.

Vote Here:
Just finishing up the first book by
Stephen Z. Starr, The Union Cavalry in the Civil War. Really enjoying it and find it very readable, despite the copious quoting of original source material.

Before that I had finished up
Eric J. Wittenberg's book...

“The Devil’s to Pay”: John Buford at Gettysburg. A History and Walking Tour​

Excellent! It was literally a suspenseful page turner, despite knowing the outcome! Very well written!

I was planning on reading Battle Cry of Freedom next, but after reading all these posts, you have me wanting to read Bearss Vicksburg trilogy! And then the poster ahead of me mentioned Timothy B Smith's book on Vicksburg. Well turns out he wrote The Real Horse Soldiers! Seeing as how that's cavalry associated with the Vicksburg campaign, I just might have to read that next! 😅

Last edited by a moderator:
Vote Here:
Just picked these 3 books up at the 48th Annual Civil War Collector's Show in Gettysburg this past weekend. They came highly recommended by Jim Schmick. I can't wait to read them. I will post reviews when I finish.
I can recommend The Confederate Approach on Harrisburg. It's a detailed narrative of Ewell's capture of Carlisle and movement toward Harrisburg before being recalled toward Gettysburg. Personal accounts interspersed throughout and decent maps included.

Vote Here:
Just finished A Separate Battle: Women and the Civil War by Ina Chang, 1991, Laing Communications, Redmond, WA. An excellent book, full of pictures. A good overview of every area in which the war affected women.

Now reading Civil War Wives: The Lives and Times of Angelina Grimke Weld, Varina Howell Davis, and Julia Dent Grant, by Carol Berkin, 2009, Alfred A. Knopf, New York.

Vote Here:
I am one lucky mama....my son has an on-line book store, dealing with primarily out-of-prints, collectible first editions, regional histories, etc. , but generally, does not list C.W. books unless they are rare,vintage ones.
So, when he gets home from his book buying trips, he brings me the C.W. ones for my library. I really never know what I’m going to get....
He got back last night from a trip to Louisville, KY, and Cincinnati. Here’s part of my softcover stash from the trip:
6936C2F7-4B67-4E92-8009-F099A868F31D.jpeg

so glad both he and I grew up in a time when people actually read books on real paper. 🤪

Vote Here:
I am one lucky mama....my son has an on-line book store, dealing with primarily out-of-prints, collectible first editions, regional histories, etc. , but generally, does not list C.W. books unless they are rare,vintage ones.
So, when he gets home from his book buying trips, he brings me the C.W. ones for my library. I really never know what I’m going to get....
He got back last night from a trip to Louisville, KY, and Cincinnati. Here’s part of my softcover stash from the trip:
View attachment 406378

so glad both he and I grew up in a time when people actually read books on real paper. 🤪
I didn't know Mosby wrote his own memoirs. You have a good stash!
Lubliner.

Vote Here:
Back