What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I am going to read A Slave's Cause by Manisha Sinha. Recently I heard a Zoom broadcast by Dr. Sinha on feminism and was so impressed that I decided to read what I could find. Since feminism has roots in the abolitionist movement, I decided to start here.

Vote Here:
I am going to read A Slave's Cause by Manisha Sinha. Recently I heard a Zoom broadcast by Dr. Sinha on feminism and was so impressed that I decided to read what I could find. Since feminism has roots in the abolitionist movement, I decided to start here.

Much of modern society has roots in the Second Great Awakening, for example Abolition, Women's Rights, and of course Prohibition. One of these things is not like the others.

Vote Here:
I have recently acquired The Battle of White Sulfur Springs by Eric Wittenberg, Perryville: This Grand Havoc of Battle by Kenneth W. Noe, both volumes of The Bloody Fifth by John F. Schmutz and Too Useful to Sacrifice: Reconsidering George B. McClellan's Generalship in the Maryland Campaign from South Mountain to Antietam by Steven R. Stotelmyer on my kindle. They are in the reading queue.

Vote Here:
I just recently acquired The Enemy Never Came - The Civil war in the Pacific Northwest by Scott McArthur. I'm excited to read this one and found it interesting because it tells the history of the PNW during the time of the Civil War. If anybody knows of any other books set in the PNW during the Civil War, please let me know.

Vote Here:
I just recently acquired The Enemy Never Came - The Civil war in the Pacific Northwest by Scott McArthur. I'm excited to read this one and found it interesting because it tells the history of the PNW during the time of the Civil War. If anybody knows of any other books set in the PNW during the Civil War, please let me know.
Looks interesting, I'll have to look into it.

Vote Here:
Next purchases will be “a fire in the wilderness” by J. ReevesI and “the slaves war” by A. Ward. The latter is very good and I recommend it. I just finished “shiloh: bloody april”, and am currently reading “no better place to die”. Everyone posting what they’re reading or will read helps me do my book shopping.

Vote Here:
"Medical Recollections of the Army of the Potomac", by Jonathan Letterman, M.D.
Late Surgeon United States Army, and Medical Birector of the Army
of the Potomac.
Letterman is known today as the "Father of Battlefield Medicine"
Thinking about using his memoirs as the basis of a RT presentation next season.

Vote Here:
I am now halfway thru the third volume of Shelby Foote’s trilogy and am still savoring it. Getting on eBay soon after the Gettysburg trip though I made quite a haul by getting all of these books used for just a little over $30:

-The Gettysburg Campaign by Coddington
-Culp’s Hill and Cemetery Hill by Harry Pfanz
-Gettysburg The Second Day by Harry Pfanz
-Gettysburg Day Three by Jeffrey Wert
-The Fredericksburg Campaign by Francis O’Reilly
-Chancellorsville by Stephen Sears
-To the Gates of Richmond Stephen Sears

Like I said - quite a haul and now tons of books I can’t wait to get to!

Vote Here:
I am now halfway thru the third volume of Shelby Foote’s trilogy and am still savoring it. Getting on eBay soon after the Gettysburg trip though I made quite a haul by getting all of these books used for just a little over $30:

-The Gettysburg Campaign by Coddington
-Culp’s Hill and Cemetery Hill by Harry Pfanz
-Gettysburg The Second Day by Harry Pfanz
-Gettysburg Day Three by Jeffrey Wert
-The Fredericksburg Campaign by Francis O’Reilly
-Chancellorsville by Stephen Sears
-To the Gates of Richmond Stephen Sears

Like I said - quite a haul and now tons of books I can’t wait to get to!
Quite a collection there

Vote Here:
Just received for a Father's Day gift Pirates of the Chesapeake Bay: From the Colonial Era to the Oyster Wars by James L.H. Goodall.

Not a Civil War book at all but it does have a short chapter about some Confederate commerce raiding in the Chesapeake Bay region.

Vote Here:
Well, let's see...LOL...I picked up, "The Second Battle of Winchester" by Scott Mingus and Eric Wittenberg last fall at the Museum of the Shenandoah in Winchester. That was excellent and wet my appetite so I am going to pick up Scott Patchen's "The Last Battle of Winchester," and Brandon Beck's "Winchester's Three Battles." I just picked up "The Union Cavalry Comes of Age" by Eric Wittenberg and am enjoying that so much I went out and bought a Sharps carbine. (LOL, no, I was going to get the Sharps anyway, but it is awesome that I found one at an auction while I am reading that book! Which is excellent, I must say!) And, you know, I never picked up "A Brotherhood of Valor," about the Iron and Stonewall Brigades by Jeffrey Wert, So I think I want to pick up a copy of that. Even though it was first published back in 2000. Oh geesh, I forgot...I am going to order "The Maps of the Cavalry in the Gettysburg Campaign" by Bradley Gottfried.

Having had ancestors in the 87th PA, 2nd VA Infantry, and 7th VA Cavalry, means I have to do a lot of reading this summer!!!

Vote Here:
Back