What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I’m reading Rheas book on Spotsylvania and Yellow Tavern. Previously I had said how I was having trouble getting into it, but I am almost finished and it’s pretty good.

it’s making me think to find the next in the series
All of Gordon Rhea's books are very good - I read all 5 one after another. One of the reasons I got 'Carry the Flag'.
Is Gordon Rhea stopping there or is he going to continue with the battles for Petersburg?
Glenn Robertson's book on Chickamauga is volume 1 of how many?

Vote Here:
I'm reading Matteson's A Place Worse than Hell. It's going to take a long time to finish--not because it is Byzantine but because it is so beautifully written that it is like a box of Kong Haakon chocolates (and I am making it last as long as possible).

Vote Here:
All of Gordon Rhea's books are very good - I read all 5 one after another. One of the reasons I got 'Carry the Flag'.
Is Gordon Rhea stopping there or is he going to continue with the battles for Petersburg?
No, Gordon's done. He's an old friend, and we've discussed the subject more than once. He says that he's done and ready to move on to other topics.

His most recent manuscript, which I read for him last year, is a biography of a member of the 54th Massachusetts who became the first black man ever commissioned as an officer in the US Army. After the war, he became an attorney and politician. He settled in South Carolina. It's a really interesting study that will be published by the LSU Press.

Vote Here:
I've started a serious effort at Extraordinary Circumstances: The Seven Days Battles by Brian K. Burton. I say a "serious effort" because I've skimmed the book in the past, or concentrated on a handful of short passages.

I rec'd a nice copy of my own as a Christmas present from my son, so I intend to read through slowly and methodically, paying attention also to the source notes.

This isn't the first book I've read about the Seven Days Battles, but the consensus around here seems to be that Burton's is the most detailed, and probably the best.

Vote Here:
Just finished Kemp P. Battle's Memories of an Old Time Tar Heel. He was president of the Chatham Railroad during the war -- trying to get it built to the North Carolina coal and iron district on Deep River.

After the war he was the driving force in repairing and reopening the University of NC. He taught there about 15 years. He is called the second father of UNC.

The book is not exactly an autobiography, but a collection of events and people. Very enjoyable.

Vote Here:
Started "The Petersburg Regiment in the Civil War, A History of the 12 Virginia Infantry from John Brown's Hanging to Appomattox, 1859 to 1865." by John Horn. Purchased it from him when he spoke at our RT in March. He will be speaking with us again
in either Nov. or Dec. (not sure which at this time),
I also got his "The Siege of Petersburg-The Battles for the Weldon Railroad, August 1864"

Vote Here:
I am starting Meade and Lee at Rappahannock Station: The Army of the Potomac’s First Post-Gettysburg Offensive, From Kelly’s Ford to the Rapidan, October 21 to November 20, 1863, the third of a four volume set by Jeffrey Wm Hunt. Hopefully it will be as good as the first two which dealt with the aftermath and Gettysburg and with the Bristoe Station campaign.

Vote Here:
Has anyone read A Wilson Greene’s book on Petersburg? the CWT trust has been doing videos at Petersburg and he has been the primary speaker and I have to say he was really good to listen to. highly recommend their videos on YouTube As something to watch
Yes it is excellent. It is volume 1 of a multi volume work he is doing on Petersburg

Vote Here:
Back