What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

No Better Place To Die - Peter Cozzens (reading right now). Vicksburg - Donald Miller next, and then This Terrible Sound & The Shipwreck of Their Hopes - Peter Cozzens. Hoping to find time to read Stealing the General - Bonds but that might have to wait.

Last edited:
Vote Here:
working on "The Urban South and the Coming of the Civil War" by Frank Towers.
Here, Towers sheds light on the dynamics of secession by concentrating on pivotal sociopolitical shifts in the South’s three largest cities―Baltimore, New Orleans, and St. Louis.

Vote Here:
Currently reading Stephen A. Davis' "Texas Brigadier to the Fall of Atlanta: John Bell Hood". Next up the sequel, "Into Tennessee and Failure: John Bell Hood". Thought his "What the Yankees Did to Us: Sherman's Bombardment and Wrecking of Atlanta" was well done.

Vote Here:
No Better Place To Die - Peter Cozzens (reading right now). Vicksburg - Donald Miller next, and then This Terrible Sound & The Shipwreck of Their Hopes - Peter Cozzens.
Can I also recommend to you Peter Cozzen's 'Shenandoah 1862'.
Just about finished 'Carrying the Flag' by Gordon Rhea - the story of private Charles Whilden - features the soldier rather than the generals and has been truly excellent.
Have ordered 'Army of the Potomac: McClellan's First Campaign, March 1862–May 1862' by Russel H. Beatie. To say it has had mixed reviews is probably an understatement!

Vote Here:
Can I also recommend to you Peter Cozzen's 'Shenandoah 1862'.
Just about finished 'Carrying the Flag' by Gordon Rhea - the story of private Charles Whilden - features the soldier rather than the generals and has been truly excellent.
Have ordered 'Army of the Potomac: McClellan's First Campaign, March 1862–May 1862' by Russel H. Beatie. To say it has had mixed reviews is probably an understatement!
I actually wound up reading Vicksburg 1863 by Winston Groom first after No Better Place To Die. It is very good. Just finished with reading about The Battle of Port Gibson.

Vote Here:
I’m reading Rheas book on Spotsylvania and Yellow Tavern. Previously I had said how I was having trouble getting into it, but I am almost finished and it’s pretty good.

it’s making me think to find the next in the series
The next volume is called “to the North Anna. “ After that there’s a volume on cold harbor. Finally, his latest book is “on to Petersburg “. This book ends on the night of June 15.

Vote Here:
I actually wound up reading Vicksburg 1863 by Winston Groom first after No Better Place To Die. It is very good. Just finished with reading about The Battle of Port Gibson.

The books by peter cozzens are good introductions, but they’re not detailed enough. You can easily see this by comparing his book and Chickamauga with the new book by Glenn Robertson

Vote Here:
I'm continuing my personal 150th commemoration by reading about the battles/campaigns in historical order on or about their anniversary. I have 1863 covered, perhaps to overkill. I'm lining up for 1864 with the Atlanta campaign and am considering Castle and McMurry. I have the Overland Campaign covered with Rhea. I also want a general history of the naval war and perhaps "Bleeding Blue and Greg" about CW medicine. I think Corinth 1862 by T. Smith is a must in the near future.

I am reading the battle of Peachtree Creek by Earle Hess. He is a good writer, but he turns out books like an assembly line. That makes me nervous. How can he do good research in so short a time.

Vote Here:
When finished with One Continuous Fight, recommend Retreat From Gettysburg, by Kent Masterson Brown. The 2 books compliment each other in that they cover the retreat differently. Brown goes with a logistical view, while Wittenberg covers the fighting during the retreat.
Will start Cozzen's "This Terrible Sound" with the Sunday night discussion group on Feb 10. At least the group will start it, I will join in, unless I have the same issues with the right eye as I did with the left eye, after Cataract surgery on the 24th.
Sunday should find me starting Point Lookout Prison Camp for Confederates, after I finish The Liberators, by Hirsh.
With the tues book group, finding Lance Herdegen's comments with our discussion of "The Iron Brigade in Civil War and Memory" interesting and helpful in the reading of his book.
The Herdegen book is wonderful. It’s well researched and well written.

bryce

Vote Here:
Yesterday, I started To the Gates of Richmond - The Peninsula Campaign by Stephen Sears. I just finished A Battle From the Start - The Life of Nathan Bedford Forrest by Brian Steel Wills.

you might want to follow up the Sears book with Brian k. Burton, extraordinary circumstances: the seven days battles. Also, Ethan Rafuse, McClellans war and William marvel, radical sacrifice: the rise and fall of Fitz John Porter

Vote Here:
Back