What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I have currently been browsing online and my current must-read list is as follows:

• Rebel Private, Front and Rear: Memoirs of a Confederate soldier by W.A. Fletcher
  • Military Memoirs Of A Confederate: A Critical Narrative by E.P. Alexander
  • Lady Rebel: The Story of Private Jane Perkins C.S.A. by Patty Bell
  • Detailed Minutiate of Soldier Life in the Army of Northern Virginia, 1861-1865 by Carlton McCarthy

Vote Here:
A buddy of mine from the Marine Corps was getting rid of some things and asked if I’d like these for my bookshelf. At over 600 pages for each of Freeman’s volumes, it looks like I’ve got a lot of reading ahead of me!

View attachment 388475
Good score!! I had "A Civil War Treasury" when I was a kid. It is a pretty good book if I remember correctly.

Vote Here:
I have currently been browsing online and my current must-read list is as follows:

• Rebel Private, Front and Rear: Memoirs of a Confederate soldier by W.A. Fletcher
  • Military Memoirs Of A Confederate: A Critical Narrative by E.P. Alexander
  • Lady Rebel: The Story of Private Jane Perkins C.S.A. by Patty Bell
  • Detailed Minutiate of Soldier Life in the Army of Northern Virginia, 1861-1865 by Carlton McCarthy

These titles are all free on-line?

Vote Here:
I would like to recommend 'The Bristoe Campaign' by Adrian Tighe.

1612964893417.png

Firstly because this book is an exhaustive lovingly researched work on the little-covered autumn 1863 campaign in the East that has generally been ignored. You could argue that Tighe was so involved with researching this period he perhaps overstates its relative importance although he does a good job of describing the details of corps, divisional, and regimental activity and the interactions between the commanders involved. There are many maps with generally good detail. I noticed that reviews of the book state that it could have been slightly better edited, largely a result of missing commas, misuse of semi-colons but this is easy to ignore once you become involved. This is a book from an ACW enthusiast covering what has been an almost unknown part of the civil war.

Vote Here:
Expecting Yankee Correspondence by Drs. Silber and Sievens (should arrive in February). Nina Silber is Chair of the Dept. of History at Boston University, past president of the Society of Civil War Historians and a member of the Southern Historical Assn. Mary Beth Sievens is a historian (Revolution to ACW) and researcher; she teaches at the State University of New York (Fredonia). I've read a good many letters written by Maine soldiers but this book expands the field to New England soldiers.

Vote Here:
Looking for the best, definitive book on R.E. Lee. Have read a couple, but always felt there was more to know about this man.
Can't do better than Douglas Southall Freeman's four volumes! It did take me several years to finish them, but he writes beautifully and is not worshipful as some have said.

Vote Here:
I would like to recommend 'The Bristoe Campaign' by Adrian Tighe.

View attachment 390518

Firstly because this book is an exhaustive lovingly researched work on the little-covered autumn 1863 campaign in the East that has generally been ignored. You could argue that Tighe was so involved with researching this period he perhaps overstates its relative importance although he does a good job of describing the details of corps, divisional, and regimental activity and the interactions between the commanders involved. There are many maps with generally good detail. I noticed that reviews of the book state that it could have been slightly better edited, largely a result of missing commas, misuse of semi-colons but this is easy to ignore once you become involved. This is a book from an ACW enthusiast covering what has been an almost unknown part of the civil war.

I would highly recommend Meade and Lee at Bristoe Station by Jeffrey Hunt about that same time period. Came out a year or 2 ago

Vote Here:
Not quite ACW, but I've been looking for a good biography of John C. Calhoun. I read one Calhoun biography several years ago, but it's always good to get different perspectives on the same historical figure. I bought a copy of "John C. Calhoun: American Portrait" by Margaret L. Coit, which won a Pulitzer Prize for literature in 1951, so hopefully it's a good one. Clyde Wilson lists it as a recommended biography for Calhoun, and if anyone's an expert on Calhoun, it's the guy who organized and edited his papers for years.

Vote Here:
Back