What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

The History of the SixteenthTennessee Volunteer Infantry Regiment: No Hope of Getting Out Alive (Volume 2) Gillum, Jamie;
Corinth 1862: Siege, Battle, Occupation (Modern War Studies)
Timothy B. Smith
Lee's Bold Plan For Point Lookout: The Rescue of Confederate Prisoners That Never Happened Jack E. Schairer;
Books are on their way here now!

Vote Here:
I just recently started reading "Wilson's Creek: The Second Battle of the Civil War and the Men Who Fought It" By William Garrett Piston & Richard W. Hatcher III. I've really enjoyed it so far!

Wilson\'s Creek.jpg

Next in line is "Westerners In Gray: The Men and Missions of the Elite Fifth Missouri Infantry Regiment" by Phillip Thomas Tucker. I just picked this one up today from the bookstore in the Wilson's Creek Visitor Center. Looking forward to reading it as well! :thumbsup:

Westerners In Gray.jpg

Vote Here:
I don't know; Melton's book is pretty large. I'd prefer it had been cheaper, but I don't think it's terribly overpriced.

The publisher I'm a little cautious of is McFarland. I buy the books anyway, because they publish a lot of really good stuff, but I think they're about $15-20 more than they should be...

Vote Here:
About 2/3rds through Soldier Prince of Dixie by T. Michael Parrish. Pretty early on I got the impression that Parrish wasn't a big fan of General Richard Taylor, the Taylor family, or the Confederates in general. Biographers should be critical, I believe, but Parrish is outright petty at times. I'd still recommend the book, as there's obviously a lot of research involved - but half-way through I began to wonder why Parrish chose to research and write about Richard Taylor at all.

Vote Here:
i am in the middle of reading two books at the moment,they are both related to each other.they are the maryland campaign 2volumes by ezra carman and to antietam creek by d.scott hartwig.hartwigs writing is outstanding while carman's writing is good but it is 100 yrs old.i am reading corresponding chapters at the same time so it makes for a very interesting comparison.both these books are excellent and well worth the money.i am prefering them to sears' landscape turned red

Vote Here:
On my shelf, and waiting for me (not necessarily the order in which I'll get to them):

• Allen, Thomas. Intelligence In The Civil War.
  • Ballard, Michael B. Grant at Vicksburg: The General and the Siege.
  • Brooke, George M. John M. Brooke, Naval Scientist and Educator.
  • Campbell, R. Thomas. Academy on the James: The Confederate Naval School.
  • Case, Lynn Marshall. The United States and France: Civil War Diplomacy.
  • Conrad, James Lee. Rebel Reefers: The Organization And Midshipmen Of The Confederate States Naval Academy.
  • Feis, William B. Grant's Secret Service: The Intelligence War from Belmont to Appomattox.
  • Fishel, Edwin C. The Secret War for the Union: The Untold Story of Military Intelligence in the Civil War.
  • Hicks, Brian. Raising the Hunley: The Remarkable History and Recovery of the Lost Confederate Submarine.
  • Johnson, Rossiter. Campfire And Battlefield.
  • Jones, Howard. Union in Peril: The Crisis over British Intervention in the Civil War.
  • Merli, Frank J. Great Britain and the Confederate Navy, 1861-1865.
  • Merli, Frank J. The Alabama, British Neutrality, and the American Civil War.
  • Myers, Phillip E. Caution and Cooperation: The American Civil War in British-American Relations.
  • Niven, John. Gideon Welles: Lincoln's Secretary of the Navy.
  • Oviatt, Miles M. A Civil War Marine at Sea: The Diary of Medal of Honor Recipient Miles M. Oviatt.
  • Ragan, Mark K. Submarine Warfare In The Civil War.
  • Sideman, Belle Becker. Europe Looks at the Civil War: An Anthology.
  • Spencer, Warren F. Raphael Semmes: The Philosophical Mariner.

Other targets, not yet on my shelf:

• Bradlee, Francis B.C. Blockade Running During the Civil War and the Effect of Land and Water Transportation on the Confederacy.
  • Groom, Winston. Vicksburg, 1863.
  • Jackson, Rex T. James B. Eads: The Civil War Ironclads and His Mississippi.

Vote Here:
I just bought the paperback version of Gods and Generals since my tablet went out on me. I'm a huge fan of the Shaara books. Anyone looking forward to the newest book coming out in May? It's about the siege of Vicksburg.

I finished Killer Angels a few days ago and really enjoyed it. I'm trying to decide which of his books to read next. I have maybe 6 books I need to read but I usually like to stock up.

Vote Here:
Back