What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.

View attachment 158369
View attachment 158370
View attachment 158371
Is there any reliable books on the politics of the Confederacy. I am interested in any party which may have arouse in opposition to the Davis administration. I have read enough of the generals and military policy of the war. I know that there was opposition to Davis policies as the war deuterated but not of any real organizational opposition. Is it true that Davis and his staff ran the Confederecey as a central police force regulating the presses and any negative reports on his policy or on how the war was directed as to Jefferson selecting only his favorite .Lincoln had an establish opposition with the Democrat and then with the radical elements of the Rep. party. It is well reported of his actions against those who wrote disfavorable on his polices but I have not read of the Davis administrations doing any such actions against his attackers in press or speeches. Knowing of his dislike to be disagreed with could this affect his policy. Lincoln removed abius corpus in his actions against those who he feared were undermining his policy to save the Union, what did Davis have. There is a scene in the movie ''Lincoln'' where he stated that he had the authority to do what was needed to accomplish his goal [this pertaining to the 13th Amendment but possible to the war itself] Final question; Was there any man who would have been a better selection for President? Calhoun dead, Stephens .sickle and Wise, Virginian but a little more radical than Davis and surely not Gov. Brown of Georgia. There were no moderates at this time who could speak of the rashness of this action. IF anyone could recommend a honest account of the political inside of the Confederate government please to inform me. As you see I am one who is most interested in the politics of the war than the military asspects for the politics is what determins the begins .the policies of the war and the outcome after the war, as it as since the first rock was thrown.

Vote Here:
I’m assuming there are more instances I haven’t heard about?
A fair number of places. I knew there were mines at Fort Blakely, but didn't recall mines at Spanish Fort. Butler ran into mines on a road near Williamsburg in 1864. And Sheridan, finding mines, planted some of his own.
This is a small book, but the stories it tells are big!
Order it direct from Savas Beatie.

Vote Here:
Iam planning on getting a few more of the TimeLife Voices of the Civil War series. They focus on certain battles or campaigns and are filled with soldier's, general's, and civilian's accounts of the battle in order from start to finish. The accounts fallow the timeline of the battle and are organized by certain events, regiments, or brigades. I currently have Gettysburg, 2nd Manassas, Antietam, Chickamauga, The Wilderness Campaign, and the Atlanta Campaign. I was thinking of getting either the Seven Days or 1st Manassas next.
I have them all. I am reading one all the time, along with other books. Especially if I have a trip planned.

Vote Here:
Right now, I'm reading a ton of British history, so I don't have a ACW book in the immediate future. Maybe late spring.
I'm taking a break from ACW to read The Irish Assassins by Julie Kavanaugh. It's also about the 19 th century, but Ireland. It tells the story of the Phoenix Park murders. It's giving me insight as to why the Irish in America were such fierce soldiers and citizens. And why my own people left to start hard lives in a new country.

Vote Here:
I'm taking a break from ACW to read The Irish Assassins by Julie Kavanaugh. It's also about the 19 th century, but Ireland. It tells the story of the Phoenix Park murders. It's giving me insight as to why the Irish in America were such fierce soldiers and citizens. And why my own people left to start hard lives in a new country.
Nice. Right now I'm rereading a book by Mick Aston about an English village. I have a book on British prehistory on deck, as well as one on William the conqueror. Oh, and two books by Francis Pryor. Then of course, have to have a book on ancient Rome.

Vote Here:
Nice. Right now I'm rereading a book by Mick Aston about an English village. I have a book on British prehistory on deck, as well as one on William the conqueror. Oh, and two books by Francis Pryor. Then of course, have to have a book on ancient Rome.
Reading a bio of James Cook (my favorite colonizer) now but have a stack of Civil War books to read. Second Bull Run, Third Winchester, Fisher Hill, Moccasin Rangers...Team of Rivals...

Vote Here:
Reading a bio of James Cook (my favorite colonizer) now but have a stack of Civil War books to read. Second Bull Run, Third Winchester, Fisher Hill, Moccasin Rangers...Team of Rivals...
I am utterly bored of ACW books right now. Read some garbage ones recently. Read one book on Lincoln and you've read them all.

Vote Here:
I am utterly bored of ACW books right now. Read some garbage ones recently. Read one book on Lincoln and you've read them all.
Can't agree on Lincoln. There are so many angles to come from it never gets old. But I too burned out on our Civil War some time ago. Though I've read articles now and then. But I don’t want to give it up completely. Why I'm on this group. My Civil War library (actually about a 1/3 of it)
20171213_134359.jpg
from years ago (love posting this pic). But only have about 1/5 left. Mostly books of my kins theater of war.

Vote Here:
Can't agree on Lincoln. There are so many angles to come from it never gets old. But I too burned out on our Civil War some time ago. Though I've read articles now and then. But I don’t want to give it up completely. Why I'm on this group. My Civil War library (actually about a 1/3 of it) View attachment 422379from years ago (love posting this pic). But only have about 1/5 left. Mostly books of my kins theater of war.
Mine was similar. Gave 99% away over the summer. Saved the 4 volume battles and leaders and some faves. There's a set of the OR on Amazon that I'm thinking about.

Vote Here:
I am constantly nosing my way around the Official Records of both the armies and the Navy from the War of the Rebellion. I need four lifetimes to read it all, and I have at most a third of one of I am lucky. I found a good way to break the monotony of the historians' perspectives is to read the raw reports. You all begin a book and remain inclined to have to finish it. It can get dull by doing so. Take a break and start the journey through the volumes at Cornell online, if you don't own a disk set. It may entice you to focus more specifically on an interest instead of an array of 'being told what was'.
Lubliner.

Vote Here:
I am constantly nosing my way around the Official Records of both the armies and the Navy from the War of the Rebellion. I need four lifetimes to read it all, and I have at most a third of one of I am lucky. I found a good way to break the monotony of the historians' perspectives is to read the raw reports. You all begin a book and remain inclined to have to finish it. It can get dull by doing so. Take a break and start the journey through the volumes at Cornell online, if you don't own a disk set. It may entice you to focus more specifically on an interest instead of an array of 'being told what was'.
Lubliner.
The disk sets are so disappointing. Too many spelling errors. And the online versions have awful search engines.

Vote Here:
I was looking for this pair by Walter Durham and finally found them this past weekend at a local bookstore. Interesting to learn so far about the local citizens and what they experienced early on during the evacuation of Nashville post Fort Donelson. Looks like it should be a couple of good reads!

View attachment 421276
I found these online at Elder’s about a year ago. I was raised in a suburb of Nashville in the 60s. Very enjoyable reads.

I love Elder’s and visit the brick and mortar store whenever I can when in Nashville. One of the few remaining traditional used/specialty book stores.

Vote Here:
Back