What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

gjpratt

Corporal
A friend lent me a book that I just got around to reading on an airplane trip. The Lost Gettysburg Address, by David T. Dixon. I never knew there was a third orator, but there was. Charles Anderson, brother of Robert Anderson of Ft. Sumter fame. The origin of the book was the author’s chance acquisition of the manuscript of a speech (among many other papers) from a descendant of Anderson. He managed to validate it as the one delivered by Anderson at Gettysburg. He then wrote the full story around a biography of Anderson, who I must say is a very fascinating man. It is a good read, just over 200 pages, well sourced and the third Gettysburg address is published in full.

As I read more and more biographies from the era a common theme I see is how intertwined all the lives of the the major players of the CW, North and South, were in the antebellum period.

I suppose I should make a small confession to ease my conscience. The airplane trip was 3 weeks ago. Absent minded me left the book in the plane. I am finishing it now because I had to find and order another copy. At least my friend will receive back the book inscribed by the author. A pleasant surprise as it was not listed as an inscribed copy.

Grant's Tomb

Corporal
I'm about half way through this account of the US Congress in the decades leading up to the CW. Meticulously researched and fun to read, packed with "who knew that?" moments, consider checking it out.

View attachment 420098
I read that book. It was a very interesting account of legislative violence in Congress even before the Brooks-Sumner Affair

carptrash

Private
There's a new biography of Admiral David Farragut that will be released tomorrow titled Full Speed Ahead! America's first Admiral: David Glasgow Farragut by Louise Borden.
Farragut is another one that should be checked out as a statue. There are some nice ones of him about, but St Gaudens' take on him, somewhere in NYC is TOP 10.

Study the Past

Sergeant
Just finished this last night. Always been a fan of the Great Locomotive Chase, and hearing Pittenger's detailed account of it further was a fun read, indeed. Not too long, with a good flow to it, and talked a lot about the chase, and of the many different prisons the raiders all ended up in, and life in it. Highly recommend!

1636057393218.png

Lubliner

Captain
Forum Host
Just finished this last night. Always been a fan of the Great Locomotive Chase, and hearing Pittenger's detailed account of it further was a fun read, indeed. Not too long, with a good flow to it, and talked a lot about the chase, and of the many different prisons the raiders all ended up in, and life in it. Highly recommend!

View attachment 420781
I am not sure where I read about how General Mitchell picked Anderson and his group, but it did cover the experience of their journey southward to meet up in Georgia for the heist. They came into the south from Kentucky I believe and splitting up into small parties and taking different routes. I have found in the Official Records the written report of one of those men who wrote to Washington for himself and one other accomplice after returning from the failed attempt and capture. If you are interested, I posted it on a thread about the Locomotive Train Robbery. I can possibly find it if so.
Lubliner.

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
I am not sure where I read about how General Mitchell picked Anderson and his group, but it did cover the experience of their journey southward to meet up in Georgia for the heist. They came into the south from Kentucky I believe and splitting up into small parties and taking different routes. I have found in the Official Records the written report of one of those men who wrote to Washington for himself and one other accomplice after returning from the failed attempt and capture. If you are interested, I posted it on a thread about the Locomotive Train Robbery. I can possibly find it if so.
Lubliner.
All the details are in this, probably the proverbial last word about the incident:

Nathan Stuart

Private
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.

View attachment 158369
View attachment 158370
View attachment 158371

The Peter Cozzens book listed is an excellent coverage of the Battle of Stones River.

Cozzens wrote a trilogy of very good works detailing key battles in the western theater. These titles are:

No Better Place To Die - The Battle of Stones River

This Terrible Sound - The Battle of Chickamauga

The Shipwreck Of Their Hopes - The Battles for Chattanooga

The most informative and interesting book I found on the Battle of Franklin is:

For Cause & For Country - A Study of the Affair at Spring Hill and the Battle of Franklin by Eric A. Jacobson; co-author Richard A. Rupp

It is a very engaging historical narrative and is the best book I have read on this tragic battle fought that became a bloodbath for the Confederacy.

Fenwick1863

Private
I just got to the Blalock chapter. Wow! ( no spoilers ). On to the Shelton Laurel chapter....
Enjoy!
Hahaha, I've heard a good bit about them in my research on the 26th NC, but I'm sure that there's a ton more in that book!
I have another book about the Blalocks that I purchased a while back that I haven't gotten to read yet. (I suspect I haven't gotten to half of my collection yet. :unsure: ) It's called Rebels in Blue: The Story of Keith and Malinda Blalock, by Peter F. Stevens.