What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Sharpe was chief of Union military intelligence, wasn't he?
Yes he was selected by Hooker to rebuild the army's (Army of Potomac) intelligence operation. He was the commander of the Bureau of Military Information (BMI). Sharpe built up staff of analysts, scouts, guides and civilian support. He was involved in so much. Its really a part of the civil war I am most ignorant on so I am really looking forward to reading this book. I am so proud of my Grandfather for all he did. I feel like I am honoring him by learning all I can about his life with the 120th and his life under the command of Sharpe

Vote Here:
Just watched Amistad. Wow. Adam's summation before the Supreme Court is impressive.
America was founded on the principles of liberty and equality.
If freeing these Africans sets the U.S. a step closer to Civil War, "then let it come. And when it does, may it be, finally, the last battle of the American Revolution."

Vote Here:
Can anyone give an opinion on David Welker's The Cornfield: Antietam's Bloody Turning Point?
I read The Cornfield a few months ago. You need to have a good base knowledge on the Battle of Antietam as a complete battle before reading The Cornfield. The book is highly detailed with plenty of maps. Read it and next time you stand in that cornfield you will have a greater appreciation of exactly what happened. Recommended.

Vote Here:
Yes he was selected by Hooker to rebuild the army's (Army of Potomac) intelligence operation. He was the commander of the Bureau of Military Information (BMI). Sharpe built up staff of analysts, scouts, guides and civilian support. He was involved in so much. Its really a part of the civil war I am most ignorant on so I am really looking forward to reading this book. I am so proud of my Grandfather for all he did. I feel like I am honoring him by learning all I can about his life with the 120th and his life under the command of Sharpe
I would be proud too! That's a good heritage! Serving with the BMI was a dangerous and tough job.

Vote Here:
Starting "Civil War Supply & Strategy" by Earl Hess. His previous books have been very good & I know this one will be too.
Agreed about Hess; I liked his Civil War Infantry Tactics and as I said above plan to start Civil War Logistics soon. Funny, I was considering ...Supply and Strategy also but the Mrs said I had to choose one. :frown:

I'd be interested in comparing notes with you in a few weeks or so to see what is covered in each book.

Vote Here:
I recently read Stephen Davis book on John Bell Hood and enjoyed it. Texas Brigadier to the Fall of Atlanta.
I am currently reading What the Yankees did to us. Sherman's Bombardment and Wrecking of Atlanta. Here is an article on the author.

Vote Here:
I recently read Stephen Davis book on John Bell Hood and enjoyed it. Texas Brigadier to the Fall of Atlanta.

Go on Amazon erviews or Emerging Civil War, they had a post this week about these books. Sam Hood wrote critiques in both places of Davis 2 books on Hood. It's worth reading after you read the 2 books.

Vote Here:
Just watched Amistad. Wow. Adam's summation before the Supreme Court is impressive.
America was founded on the principles of liberty and equality.
If freeing these Africans sets the U.S. a step closer to Civil War, "then let it come. And when it does, may it be, finally, the last battle of the American Revolution."
Adams'
got the apostrophe in the wrong place.
John Quincy Adams
The 1839 Amistad case was felt by many to put the country "a long step" toward plunging us into Civil War.

Vote Here:
Not civil war but as a result of a discussion here about cavalry in the Victorian era I was directed to Hell Riders by Tony Brighton concerning the Charge of the Light Brigade. Really enjoying it, quite a page turner.

John

Vote Here:
I picked up a book the other day called "Wild Bill: The True Story of the American Frontier's First Gunfighter" By Tom Clavin. The first part deals with Bill's early life and the Civil War. I am not sure what to make of it. I have read his book "Dodge City", but not "Tombstone". Has anyone else read any of Clavin's books.

Vote Here:
Winter, "Cotton Railroad through Mississippi: the Mississippi Central and the Illinois Central." Written by a prolific writer of the Holly Springs area and just published. The book is 120 pages, 8 1/2x11, glossy with numerous photos and maps. The writing is easy and interesting. 25 pages cover the CW.

The book has an ISBN, but no site I checked had it listed. If you are interested, PM me and I will give you the author's contact info.

Vote Here:
I picked up a book the other day called "Wild Bill: The True Story of the American Frontier's First Gunfighter" By Tom Clavin. The first part deals with Bill's early life and the Civil War. I am not sure what to make of it. I have read his book "Dodge City", but not "Tombstone". Has anyone else read any of Clavin's books.
I read the Wild Bill book a few months ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it and can recommend it to you.

Vote Here:
Back