What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Just back from the library and got Daniel Stashower's The Hour of Peril, a book-length treatment of the 1861 'Baltimore Plot' to kill Abraham Lincoln.

Vote Here:
I just finished, "What the Yankees Did to Us: Sherman's Bombardment and Wrecking of Atlanta," by Stephen Davis. Very impressed with the research Dr. Davis did in writing this book, there are so many first hand accounts from both sides. Before reading this book, I had only a small inkling of what the civilians of Atlanta had to endure. Whether you think Sherman was justified or not in what he did to the civilians in Atlanta, with Dr. Davis book you will know the detailed facts about exactly what happened. Very interesting read, strongly recommend it.

Vote Here:
I just finished, "What the Yankees Did to Us: Sherman's Bombardment and Wrecking of Atlanta," by Stephen Davis. Very impressed with the research Dr. Davis did in writing this book, there are so many first hand accounts from both sides. Before reading this book, I had only a small inkling of what the civilians of Atlanta had to endure. Whether you think Sherman was justified or not in what he did to the civilians in Atlanta, with Dr. Davis book you will know the detailed facts about exactly what happened. Very interesting read, strongly recommend it.
Sounds like a must-read.

Vote Here:
Sounds like a must-read.
Indeed it is, it makes you feel like you were there during the bombardment and the later expulsion of Atlanta citizens after the capture of the city. In one sense it is good that there is so much detail, but it is also my only complaint about the book, the detail minutia was a bit too much for me, since I don't live in Atlanta, and I am not so familiar with all the locations.

Vote Here:
Indeed it is, it makes you feel like you were there during the bombardment and the later expulsion of Atlanta citizens after the capture of the city. In one sense it is good that there is so much detail, but it is also my only complaint about the book, the detail minutia was a bit too much for me, since I don't live in Atlanta, and I am not so familiar with all the locations.
Another good book in a similar vein is Karen Stokes', South Carolina Civilians In Sherman's Path: Stories of Courage Amid Civil War Destruction.

Vote Here:
I recently acquired Volumes 24 and 25 of Confederate Veteran...1916 and 1917 issue...at a used book store. They are bound in twine and I have not even looked inside yet. It was a great find. I was wondering if these books are out there in large numbers or is this set relatively rare. Thanks for any help.
TenFed.

Vote Here:
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.

View attachment 158369
View attachment 158370
View attachment 158371
Suggest reading for those who rather read historical fiction may I suggest a novel by Charles Frazier."VARINA".She was Davis's second wife and a women who witnessed the birth and death of the Confederacy.It is not a romantic version of the war but is told from her view of her life first with her family then with the Davis family as Jefferson goes to war then through the political life that she lived,The man whom she meets did exist and Jefferson's brother's plantation was as is depicted.It is interesting that both families.Lincoln and Davis ,suffered the same loss.If you enjoyed Cold Mountain and Thirteen Moons then this you will also with this.Suggest that one research the main char. before reading.The depiction of the depart and flight from Richmond is from her seeing the horror of what the war has done to the South as they flee/

Vote Here:
I'm continuing my personal 150th commemoration by reading about the battles/campaigns in historical order on or about their anniversary. I have 1863 covered, perhaps to overkill. I'm lining up for 1864 with the Atlanta campaign and am considering Castle and McMurry. I have the Overland Campaign covered with Rhea. I also want a general history of the naval war and perhaps "Bleeding Blue and Greg" about CW medicine. I think Corinth 1862 by T. Smith is a must in the near future.

Try this book if you’re interested in CW medicine.

03334B3A-DB89-40D8-AC07-BC6C38079A04.jpeg

Vote Here:
Half done with "The Last Siege-The Mobile Campaign-Alabama 1865" by Paul Brueske.
I have 6 books on Mobile and this has turned out to be the Best one so far. Even with being a bit
thin, it has a Lot more detail, and more personal accounts than the other 6.
What are the other 5 books you have? That one is in my "Save for later " list and I've read "West Wind,Flood Tide" but I'm looking for other books too.

Vote Here:
Back