What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I just purchased the two brand new Gettysburg titles: "Too Much for Human Endurance: The George Spangler Farm Hospitals and the Battle of Gettysburg" by Ronald D. Kirkwood and "Gettysburg's Peach Orchard: Longstreet, Sickles, and the Bloody Fight for the Commanding Ground along the Emmitsburg Road" by James A. Hessler and Britt C. Isenberg. I hope the Peach Orchard book has new information and not just another Gettysburg book that uses the same old sources with just the title page changed. David.

Vote Here:
I just purchased the two brand new Gettysburg titles: "Too Much for Human Endurance: The George Spangler Farm Hospitals and the Battle of Gettysburg" by Ronald D. Kirkwood and "Gettysburg's Peach Orchard: Longstreet, Sickles, and the Bloody Fight for the Commanding Ground along the Emmitsburg Road" by James A. Hessler and Britt C. Isenberg. I hope the Peach Orchard book has new information and not just another Gettysburg book that uses the same old sources with just the title page changed. David.
I hope the"Gettysburg's Peach Orchard" book has some fresh info too. I just put it on my Kindle.

Vote Here:
Industrial Development and Manufacturing in the Antebellum Gulf South- A Reevaluation, by Michael S. Frawley.
Using newspapers, census records (often underutilized), credit reports, and other sources Frawley has uncovered manufacturing firms that were either skipped, or even not noticed in the census recording. Though southern manufacturing firms could not match the output of northern states, we find that such entities had established themselves as vital forces in the southern economy on the eve of the civil war. Maybe we have here another piece of information as to how the Confederacy managed to hang on as long at it did?
A small book, 127 pages, (and pricy) I am finding it very interesting. Seems to be pretty solid, IMHO.

Vote Here:
Tonight I just purchased Larry Daniel's new book entitled: "Conquered: Why The Army of the Tennessee Failed." I cannot wait to read this book. Of course, I will have to place it on my to read pile along with a host of other newly purchased books the last several weeks. David.

Vote Here:
Holding the Line on the River of Death by Eric Wittenberg
General Lee's Army from Victory to Collapse by Joseph Glatthaar
Like Men of War: Black Troops in the Civil War by Noah Andre Trudeau

Well Eric Wittenberg gave a presentation at the Ann Arbor Civil War Round Table tonight, so my next book will probably be Holding the Line on the River of Death by Eric Wittenberg, or "The Devil's to Pay" John Buford at Gettysburg by Eric Wittenberg.

Vote Here:
Judging from the Amazon reviews, you have exercised excellent literary judgment. I put the 1st book on my list to be read after Lee's bio.

Vote Here:
Brothers 'til Death- The Civil War letters of William, Thomas, and Maggie Jones 1861-1865, edited by Richard Trimble.
Irish Brothers in the 48th New York volunteer Regiment.

Vote Here:

Just finished Glatthaar's General Lee's Army. I'd be surprised if you find anything new or unexpected there.

Vote Here:
A Southern Boy in Blue The Memoir of Marcus Woodcock-9th Kentucky Infantry (U.S.A.)
Marcus was born in upper middle Tenn. and had to cross the state lines to join a Union regiment
in Ky. The book is both informative and entertaining reading.

Vote Here:
I picked up a couple of memoirs, Longstreet and Gordon. Looking forward to reading them both! I also have Moxley Sorrel's to read as well.

An interesting note, if you're shopping memoirs on Amazon there is a publisher that has some cheap copies but BUYER BEWARE there are exactly zero page numbers or any other organizational pieces. Font is teeny tiny...and I don't even need reading glasses. First Rate Publishers is the name. Make sure you research what you're going to buy...unlike what I did with my first Longstreet copy lol. First Rate Publishers is affordable, certainly, but it can make for a very tough read.

Here is the version I finally tracked down:

1561728172757.png

Vote Here:
Back