What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas, and I have discovered cheap or free Civil War books on Amazon. I'll never get all of those read!! But, I have started one that I particularly wanted to read: Christ in the Camp by J. William Jones.

Vote Here:
Just got Lawrence Lee Hewitt's Port Hudson, Confederate Bastion on the Mississippi.
Lemme know what you think about it when you're done. I have it in "Save For Later"

Vote Here:
Lemme know what you think about it when you're done. I have it in "Save For Later"
Just got a draft of my new book from the editor. The illustrations, captions and formatted text are there; all save for the maps. Anyway, now I have to review it for errors and I see that there were suggested changes that were not implemented by the editor. I have to go to the library to insert my suggested changes.

When I get done with that (hopefully by Thursday), I'll get back to Port Hudson.

Vote Here:
Last week I finished Five Tragic Hours - The Battle of Franklin; just started Stealing the General.

Vote Here:
I am working my way through the 26 books I bought on my tours last September. Currently I am reading American Scoundrel by Thomas Keneally, a biography of Daniel Sickles. The author seems to revel in Dangerous Dan's questionable behaviour, which is off-putting as is his habit of "guessing" what Sickles' is thinking or feeling. I have only got to the infamous trial. I hope I can make it through to the end. I'll be interested to see what he has to say about Gettysburg.

Vote Here:
@bdtex - Port Hudson concentrates on the campaign and not so much on the siege. It has an excellent account of Farragut's squadron being shot to pieces with the loss of the Mississippi. Bank's morning and afternoon attacks on Port Hudson were well treated, but I wish it was more extensive. Now I want to spend time in the Mississippi State Archives.

Now onto Michael Dan Jones' 9th Battalion Louisiana Infantry in the Battle of Baton Rouge and Siege of Port Hudson

Vote Here:
Made a mistake when I went in to town today for I went in to the one remaining decent book store... and they happened to have a solitary copy of Grant by Ron Chernow. Now I couldn't have it sitting there all lonely like... that wouldn't be right... especially as I have heard much about it on this sight and haven't read it yet.

They also had a fluff 'coffee table' type of book based on the Smithsonian's Civil War collection. I was weak and bought that too though I doubt I will learn much from it. Could be wrong though but Chernow will be first.

Vote Here:
Planning on either reading Moxley Sorrel's Recollections or John Brown Gordon's Reminiscences. Working on an alt history work and unsure who I should have as a perspective character in the ANV (most of what i have working on is focused around the AoT).

Vote Here:
Currently reading Civil War on the Western Border 1854-1865 by Jay Monaghan.
Swapped at the CWT 2018 Chickamauga meeting. Thanks again @Booner .

book.jpg

An excellent read and one that's answering a lot of the questions I had about the Missouri conflict.

Vote Here:
Back