What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

That's why I haven't gotten the Foner book. One volume that covers both would be better than two different ones when time and space is very, very limited.
I can understand that but the Foner book will have more detail and more depth.myself I have a lot to learn on reconstruction.tough call.get the Oxford and if reconstruction catches you get Foner.

Vote Here:
As if I didn't have enough to read and wasn't in the middle of my usual three books, I picked up another book from the used bookstore over the weekend: The Story of the Confederacy by Robert Selph Henry. I try not to confine myself strictly to modern history books, so finding this one, published in 1937, was a nice surprise. It'll go into the "to be read" stack and I'll get to it down the road....

Vote Here:
Finished Gray Fox by Burke Davis about none other than Robert E Lee. It was a quick read for 400+ pages. I enjoyed reading the snippets of letters he sent Mary. I cant remember if the guide at W&L Chapel told me that there was no post war information in the book when I selected it, but I specifically wanted a book with his post-war activities included, and this was not that book.

I was scared of Freeman's book, due to size. Still be interested in reading about his post war life.

Vote Here:
Good afternoon, first post on this message board!

On a recent trip to NC I visited Fort Fisher. I was recommended an excellent book by one of the bookstore employees: Confederate Goliath by Rod Gragg. It is an excellent account of the first and second battles of Fort Fisher that brought about the closure of the port of Wilmington and the end of blockade running.

I look forward to discussing the Civil War with you folks!

Vote Here:
I recently completed To Antietam Creek by D. Scott Hartwig. I bought it based on the recommendation of some of our members and was not disappointed. The movements of the troops, whether on the march or in battle, are clearly spelled out. Hartwig blends his narrative with numerous primary witness accounts. The maps add clarity to the narratives. I will note that this is a very in depth book, not for someone not versed in the basics of the campaign. If you are interested in a detailed account of the run up to the Battle of Antietam this book is hard to beat. I'm looking forward to part two.

Next up - volume 3 of David Powell's Chickamauga trilogy: The Chickamauga Campaign—Barren Victory: The Retreat into Chattanooga, the Confederate Pursuit, and the Aftermath of the Battle, September 21 to October 20, 1863

Vote Here:
For the third time Harry Pfanz's "Gettysburg: The Second Day". I never get tired of Pfanz and learn more with each reading. He and Priest are two my favorites.

Vote Here:
IMG_20170818_0001.jpg

Barbara Brooks Tomblin, The Civil War on the Mississippi, Union Sailors, Gunboat Captains, and the Campaign to Control the River, 2016.

McPherson and Spencer Tucker gave it kudos especially about it’s insights into everyday life from the view of lesser known characters: ship captains, surgeons and of course sailors. Tomblin’s “specialty” is the “sailor”, e.g. Bluejackets and Contrabands, 2009.

I liked the detail about city-class ironclads, Island #10, Port Hudson and Grand Gulf.

But now I know why there are a million books about the Civil War. It’s the same narrative, same narrative. The basic theme is still categorized by the ORN/OR which gets b-o-r-i-n-g.

It would have been exciting if she concentrated on men solely and not there tid-bit comments during the varions steps in the campaign. But I’ll bet there wouldn’t have been enough resources to write a book given that personal naval reflections are far scarcer than army ones. Otherwise it’s a good reference book.

Vote Here:
I recently completed To Antietam Creek by D. Scott Hartwig. I bought it based on the recommendation of some of our members and was not disappointed. The movements of the troops, whether on the march or in battle, are clearly spelled out. Hartwig blends his narrative with numerous primary witness accounts. The maps add clarity to the narratives. I will note that this is a very in depth book, not for someone not versed in the basics of the campaign. If you are interested in a detailed account of the run up to the Battle of Antietam this book is hard to beat. I'm looking forward to part two.

Next up - volume 3 of David Powell's Chickamauga trilogy: The Chickamauga Campaign—Barren Victory: The Retreat into Chattanooga, the Confederate Pursuit, and the Aftermath of the Battle, September 21 to October 20, 1863
I am waiting on Vol.II by Hartwig.

Vote Here:
Good evening, can anyone give me a good recomendation for a book on Confederate guerillas/bushwackers? Could be an overview or one about a specific group.

Thank you.

Vote Here:
Double Canister at Ten Yards by David Schultz. Reading on my Kindle. Think I picked it up for $0.99. I am not finished it but it is a quick read thus far. Though in the beginning I got bogged down with all the individual battery names/commanders that I was getting frustrated trying to keep them straight. Otherwise, very detailed and am enjoying it.

Vote Here:
I'm about 150 pages in. So far so good, especially if you're interested in the growth of the west.
I'm on pg 22. The introduction describing the expectations vs the results of Reconstruction really made me think of what could have been. The author's point of saying that the people settled for the sufficient was interesting.

Vote Here:
Back