What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Maybe college-level classes I can see them being used. I read Middlekauf for my Masters. But the length doesn't lend well to multiple readings in the same class. Perhaps if they used just certain portions but not the entire text. But they are very good overall as a series.

Definitely. I have Empire of Liberty and What Hath God Wrought. Both are fantastic. I still haven't picked up Middlekauf. The Republic For Which it Stands looks like a good one though. It covers a lot of what we discussed today which is something I want to do more research on. Couldn't have come at better time.

Last edited:
Vote Here:
Maybe that's part of the problem with our schools today.
Not even close. I mean, come on...let's be serious. You honestly do not expect middle or high school students to read every Oxford history book in the one or two American history classes they take? Maybe the impractical expectations of the public is the problem with schools?

Vote Here:
Not even close. I mean, come on...let's be serious. You honestly do not expect middle or high school students to read every Oxford history book in the one or two American history classes they take? Maybe the impractical expectations of the public is the problem with schools?
Right. There are a hundred high quality books of a more school-friendly size. The problem(s) with todays schools have nothing to do with kids not getting into the Oxford history series or the equivalent.

Vote Here:
"Bound in Wedlock: Slave and Free Black Marriage in the 19th Century." Tara W. Hunter

I'm only on the second chapter but so far it's a well written description of one of the worst aspect of slavery.

Vote Here:
Just finished Union Cavalryman v. Confederate Cavalryman. It's an Osprey title my friend gave me to help understand the editorial style. I'm getting Union Infantry v. Confederate Infantry soon for the same reason.

Vote Here:
Back