What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Freeman's RE Lee is very engrossing. The contents and writing style grabbed me and I read them avidly and as fast as I could. I fondly remember this biography as my first deep dive into the Eastern Theater. I found them at the bookstore at the Smithsonian American History museum. They were sure heavy on the flight home. On my next trip to DC, I went back to the bookstore and left with Lee's Lieutenants. I was immediately hooked on these 3 volumes, too. They are complementary volumes because their contents are basically the research materials Freeman gathered for his Lee biography but were peripheral to his biographical themes. He just wrote 3 more volumes.

It is also an easy segue to his last work, a 7 volume biography of George Washington. 6 1/2 volumes actually as the last volume was completed by his research assistant and published posthumously Over many years, I have been able to obtain signed versions of each volume -- 1 through 6 by Freeman and 7 by his RA. The latter was the most difficult of the set to find.

Freeman had unprecedented access to the Lee papers through the family. And because the Lee and Washington families merged through Mary Custis Lee, he had unprecedented access to Washington's papers as well.

Enjoy!

A buddy of mine from the Marine Corps was getting rid of some things and asked if I’d like these for my bookshelf. At over 600 pages for each of Freeman’s volumes, it looks like I’ve got a lot of reading ahead of me!

View attachment 388475

Vote Here:
About finished with "Army Memoirs" of Lucius Barber, served in the 15th Ill. Infantry until it was consolidated with the 14th Ill. (14/15th later in the war)
Just started "Let Us Have Peace-Ulysses S. Grant and the Politics of War and Reconstruction 1861-1868" by Brooks D. Simpson

Vote Here:
Amazon sent me an offer if I spent $25 on e books this week I would get a $6 credit for e books. Well duh I jumped right on that:

Mud, Blood, and Cold Steel: The Retreat from Nashville December 1864 by Mark Zimmerman
Shenandoah Summer the 1864 Valley Campaign by Scott Patchen
Lee's Miserables: Life in the ANV From the Wilderness to Appomattox by J. Tracy Power
The Cornfield: Antietam's Bloody Turning Point by David Welker

I lucked out on the Cornfield book it was $2.99 on Friday, it's back up to regular price today.

Vote Here:
Amazon sent me an offer if I spent $25 on e books this week I would get a $6 credit for e books. Well duh I jumped right on that:

Mud, Blood, and Cold Steel: The Retreat from Nashville December 1864 by Mark Zimmerman
Shenandoah Summer the 1864 Valley Campaign by Scott Patchen
Lee's Miserables: Life in the ANV From the Wilderness to Appomattox by J. Tracy Power
The Cornfield: Antietam's Bloody Turning Point by David Welker

I lucked out on the Cornfield book it was $2.99 on Friday, it's back up to regular price today.
You lucked out!

Vote Here:
Back