What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I'm looking for other books too.
1. Mobile, 1865 Last Stand of the Confederacy by Sean Michael O'Brian
2, History of the Campaign of Mobile by C.C. Andrews, a reprint of the 1866 edition-good look at the siege of Fort Blakely.
3. The Story of Mobile by Caldwell Delaney A history of the town itself.
4. Last Stand at Mobile by Waugh This is a really very brief look at Mobile, from the taking of Fort Morgan to the surrender of the city.
5. Confederate Mobile by Arthur Bergeron Jr. This looks Mobile from secession to its surrender, and covers the roles of commanding generals, the creation of a Confederate navy, the erection of fortifications, blockade running, and military campaigns.
6. Not to be left out is Mobile Bay and the Mobile Campaign-The last Great Battle of the Civil War of the Civil War, by Chester G. Hearn. This was the 1st book I came across when I started getting into the Civil War. A must read, IMHO
7. Last but not least is Confederate Mobile- A Pictorial History. by Caldwell Delaney and was put out by the Haunted Book Shop, in Mobile in 1971. I remember the book store because I used to buy books, usually chess, from them. I left in '65 for the Army and never went back to Mobile. Not born there but pretty much raised in the area. Anyhow, the book is a collection of photographs of original documents, photographs and artifacts. I remember seeing a number of those artifacts at the Mobile Museum.
Hope this helps a little.

Vote Here:
Don't Know Much About the Civil War...
Everything You Need to Know About America's Greatest Conflict But Never Learned
By Kenneth C. Davis

I picked this book up at a Goodwill for 75 cents. Has some nice information and is a good overview of the entire period.

Vote Here:
I picked up Seizing Destiny: The Army of the Potomac's "Valley Forge" and the Civil War Winter that Saved the Union by Albert Z. Connor and Chris Mackowski on sale for my Kindle yesterday. I got it for $2.99, but unfortunately it seems to have been a one day deal, back to $9.99 today. This is the first book authored by Chris Mackowski (at least in part) that I am going to read; my thoughts about it will determine if I get more. I've read the prologue and first chapter at this point, so far so good. I'll do a review when I complete it.
51rRNJTEnvL.jpg

Vote Here:
I picked up Seizing Destiny: The Army of the Potomac's "Valley Forge" and the Civil War Winter that Saved the Union by Albert Z. Connor and Chris Mackowski on sale for my Kindle yesterday. I got it for $2.99, but unfortunately it seems to have been a one day deal, back to $9.99 today. This is the first book authored by Chris Mackowski (at least in part) that I am going to read; my thoughts about it will determine if I get more. I've read the prologue and first chapter at this point, so far so good. I'll do a review when I complete it.
View attachment 336330

Read his Mine Run book that will convince you he is worth reading more

Vote Here:
Sadly, there isn't much new that's worth a read.
Would guess that it depends on what you're looking for. Savas beatie has a couple new ones that I'm going to order this wk. And I'm presently reading some old ones to refresh my memory while waiting for new ones. And how far back can one go before 'new' is in the loop.

Vote Here:
Just received a new book which is the third one published by my cousin from Texas. His first one was an historical novel about our COLE family who served in various Mississippi regiments. The second one was a historical account of his wife's ancestor who served in the Army of Northern Virginia.
This third book is about a Texas cavalry that served in the Trans-Mississippi Department. It starts out with a chapter about the family's arrival in Texas and a chapter on the secession of Texas. The final chapter on the war and one additional chapter covers the history of the family after the war and through the years. This book is a big improvement on his previous history because he found letters from his ancestor and two other relatives which add a realism to the campaigns through Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana.

Riding With the 19th Texas Cavalry in the War West of the Mississippi 1862-1865
By Gary C. Cole

• Published: November 2019
  • Format: Perfect Bound Softcover(B/W)
  • Pages: 252
  • Size: 6x9
  • ISBN: 9781490798523
  • Retail Price: HB $31.99 - SB $20.99

Ridingwiththe19Texas.JPG

This is the story of William Hardy Bennett’s Confederate military service as a Private in Co. B of the 19th Texas Cavalry Regiment during the War for Southern Independence and his experiences during Reconstruction that followed the war. He enlisted with the Mesquite Light Horse Militia in Dallas County, Texas on 8 January 1861 some one and a half months before the citizens of Texas ratified the State’s Ordinance of Secession. Some fourteen months later on 21 March 1862, he enlisted with Captain Allen Beard’s Company, Burford’s Texas Cavalry in Dallas, Texas to defend his family, Dallas County, and the State of Texas against a Yankee army determined to invade and destroy the State. Beard’s Company became Co. B of the 19th Texas Cavalry Regiment and was an important part of Colonel William Henry Parsons’ Texas Brigade that fought with distinction in the Trans-Mississippi Department. Hardy fought in some fifty engagements and was often in harm’s way, but he survived and returned to Dallas County, Texas after the war and prospered despite the economic and political problems that plagued the county during Reconstruction.

Trafford Publications

Vote Here:
This is another book that I have been interested in adding to my library of books on the Cavalry operations of North Mississippi and West Tennessee. Since it is about a Union regiment, I could not force myself to spend MY money on a copy. I put it on my Christmas list and my granddaughter bought it for me.

HurstsWurst1.JPG

Hurst's Wurst: Colonel Fielding Hurst and the Sixth Tennessee Cavalry U.S.A.
by Kevin D. McCann

Paperback: 164 pages
Publisher: McCann Publications; 4th edition (September 27, 2007)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 096712512X
ISBN-13: 978-0967125121
Product Dimensions: 6 x 0.4 x 9 inches

I wanted to have a copy as it covers a Union regiment that was organized in a few counties over from my county. Also, Colonel Fielding Hurst and his bad boys of the 6th Tenn Cavalry(US) played a role in General Forrest's decision to launch his 1864 Tennessee Raid. General N B Forrest informed the Union HQ that he considered Col. Hurst and the 6th Tennessee Cavalry as murders and would show them No Quarter. One of the reasons for Forrest’s raid into W Tenn in March 1864 was to apprehend Colonel Hurst. He did succeed it a skirmish with his regiment and capture of several men and his baggage.

This book has several pages of things like roster and biographies of many of the officers. It does appear to have a good history with good reference sources. However, I did find a section of a chapter that seemed to have jumped over 4 to 6 months without any details.
Just skimming over it, I have already learned something that I did NOT know.
I just discovered they may have been at the Battle of Salem, Miss on 7 October 1863. This was one of the skirmishes during General Chalmers’ Raid that culminated in Battle of Collierville on the 11th. This account of the battle has good info on the Union units that participated in the battle and the movement of the units. After the battle, this Union cavalry brigade returned to LaGrange, Tenn for 3 days and then returned to the pursuit of Chalmers' division on the 11th. This page describes how they passed through Salem(no long exists) and crossed the Coldwater River at Quinn's Mill and re-engaged the Confederates at the Battle of Wyatt(burned after the battle).
There are some wording that I don't like about the 3rd paragraph. The main error is the town is described as surrounded by a "deep canal". This is so wrong. Wyatt was located on a bluff that overlooked the bed of the Tallahatchie River. It describes the battle as an artillery duel---but the Confederates were only using two 1.56-inch Williams Guns as a rear guard to allow the remaining troops to cross the road and bridge and escape to Oxford.

HurstsWurst2.jpg

Vote Here:
Back