What ACW Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

DaveBrt

Sergeant Major
Starting Civil War Railroads & Models, by Edwin P. Alexander -- not the E. P. Alexander, artillerist of the ANV.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Reading Battle Cry of Freedom right now. Going to read Jon Meacham's American Lion next, which of course isn't directly about the ACW, but certainly leads to that. Of course, a large part of understanding the war is understanding how we got to that point.

TerryB

Major
I got a care package from my ex with a lot of books in it, including Tried by Fire and Mary Chestnut's Diary. Have never read either.

bdtex

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018
My dad recently gave me 6 boxes of Civil War books. Of all the books he gave me,I already had only 5 of them. Not planning to buy any for awhile.

David H.

Private
I just completed Gordon Rhea's final volume of the Overland Campaign titled On to Petersburg: Grant and Lee June 4 - 15, 1864. I have owned the book for a while but hadn't had the opportunity to read it. It was as well done as the other books in the series. Next on the CW reading list is A Campaign of Giants: The Battle for Petersburg Volume One From the Crossing of the James to the Crater.

View attachment 214971

View attachment 214970
This is the same author who wrote the final essay in Gary Gallagher's book of essays on "The Third Day at Gettysburg and Beyond"; his essay is on Meade's pursuit of Lee - a subject covered in far more detail in Eric Wittenberg's "One Continuous Fight".

mobile_96

First Sergeant
"The American Civil War Through British Eyes: Dispatches From British Diplomats, Vol. 1 (of 3): November 1960-April 1862
by James J. Barnes and Patience P. Barnes.
Majority of dispatches are from Lord Lyons, in Washington to Lord Russell, in England. Many of Lord Russell's orders and direction, can be realized from Lyons own comments. There are also a few insertions from the other British Consuls posted at various seaports on the east coast.

Mr King

Sergeant
I just purchased a copy of: Westerners in Gray by Tucker for 19.95 with tax(appeared UNREAD), now that is a great deal because the other sellers cost much more. And bought a copy of battle on: Pea Ridge by Shea today for just under 7 bucks which is a good deal and the seller only had 1 copy. I'll buy: Fields of Blood by Shea next week when I get paid.

Bruce Vail

1st Lieutenant
Just picked up "The War For The Common Soldier", by Peter S. Carmichael, an account of "how men thought, fought, and survived in Civil War armies". I think it will be a very good read.
I look forward to your comments on this book. I watched one of his CSPAN videos recently and the book seemed very interesting.

Last edited:

SeaSoldier

Private
I am currently reading Southern History of the War by Edward Pollard. My copy is a 1977 facsimile book. Original was written in 1866. I also have read The South After the War (written 1865 and published in 1866). Can't remember the author. Another book already read is River Run Red about the Fort Pillow massacre.

Ricochet

Private
Carmichael's book is very interesting as it compares and contrasts the thoughts and feelings of different soldiers expressed in their own words, as they dealt with the problems of army life, battle, and being away from loved ones. But I found it to be a difficult book to read. The wording the author uses, in my opinion, is often overly complex, diffuse, and grandiloquent. This makes for slow going, and often a sentence or a paragraph has to be reread to try to understand what the author is trying to convey. All of this is, of course, just my opinion and other readers may not find it as I did.

Polloco

First Sergeant
Next book was going to be Rip Ford'sTexas; Personal Narratives of the West by FORD, Salmon John.But this is his own Memoirs and from what I hear it's long winded. I'll find a shorter version. As much as I love a good read it's gotta be large print and a short book.

Mr King

Sergeant
Just bought a copy of Fields of Blood by Shea and The Darkest Days of the War: The Battles of Iuka and Corinth by Cozzens.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!