What ACW Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

mobile_96

First Sergeant
Industrial Development and Manufacturing in the Antebellum Gulf South- A Reevaluation, by Michael S. Frawley.
Using newspapers, census records (often underutilized), credit reports, and other sources Frawley has uncovered manufacturing firms that were either skipped, or even not noticed in the census recording. Though southern manufacturing firms could not match the output of northern states, we find that such entities had established themselves as vital forces in the southern economy on the eve of the civil war. Maybe we have here another piece of information as to how the Confederacy managed to hang on as long at it did?
A small book, 127 pages, (and pricy) I am finding it very interesting. Seems to be pretty solid, IMHO.

Deleted User CS

Retired User
Tonight I just purchased Larry Daniel's new book entitled: "Conquered: Why The Army of the Tennessee Failed." I cannot wait to read this book. Of course, I will have to place it on my to read pile along with a host of other newly purchased books the last several weeks. David.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Holding the Line on the River of Death by Eric Wittenberg
General Lee's Army from Victory to Collapse by Joseph Glatthaar
Like Men of War: Black Troops in the Civil War by Noah Andre Trudeau
Well Eric Wittenberg gave a presentation at the Ann Arbor Civil War Round Table tonight, so my next book will probably be Holding the Line on the River of Death by Eric Wittenberg, or "The Devil's to Pay" John Buford at Gettysburg by Eric Wittenberg.

Norm53

Sergeant
Judging from the Amazon reviews, you have exercised excellent literary judgment. I put the 1st book on my list to be read after Lee's bio.

mobile_96

First Sergeant
Brothers 'til Death- The Civil War letters of William, Thomas, and Maggie Jones 1861-1865, edited by Richard Trimble.
Irish Brothers in the 48th New York volunteer Regiment.

gary

Captain
Edward Young Memorries' History of the First Regiment Alabama Volunteer Infantry, C. S. A.

Ainatari

Private
Not sure...probably should read Team Of Rivals, after the Lincoln movie was based. An amazing film.

Bruce Vail

1st Lieutenant
Just finished Glatthaar's General Lee's Army. I'd be surprised if you find anything new or unexpected there.

mobile_96

First Sergeant
A Southern Boy in Blue The Memoir of Marcus Woodcock-9th Kentucky Infantry (U.S.A.)
Marcus was born in upper middle Tenn. and had to cross the state lines to join a Union regiment
in Ky. The book is both informative and entertaining reading.

gary

Captain
Picked up Battle of Westport (MO) the other day. Called the Gettysburg of the West, I wasn't even aware of it.

Andersonh1

Major
My father's day gift which I'm currently reading is "The Devastating Hand of War: Romney, WV During the Civil War" by Richard Sauers. Great little book about a border town that went back and forth many, many times during the war.

1stMN

First Sergeant
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
I picked up a couple of memoirs, Longstreet and Gordon. Looking forward to reading them both! I also have Moxley Sorrel's to read as well.

An interesting note, if you're shopping memoirs on Amazon there is a publisher that has some cheap copies but BUYER BEWARE there are exactly zero page numbers or any other organizational pieces. Font is teeny tiny...and I don't even need reading glasses. First Rate Publishers is the name. Make sure you research what you're going to buy...unlike what I did with my first Longstreet copy lol. First Rate Publishers is affordable, certainly, but it can make for a very tough read.

Here is the version I finally tracked down:

1561728172757.png

DaveBrt

2nd Lieutenant
Starting Barry and Burt's "Suppliers to the Confederacy, V. 3" (QM, artillery, ordnance goods from British and European sources)

Rebelsoul

Private
Just started Army of the heartland next is Autumn of glory about the Army of Tennessee by Thomas Connelly. They seem more about the politics and shenanigans between the top command than the battles and average soldier. But after leafing through both I'm sure it will be a very well researched, informative and interesting read, even though they are over 45 years old. Can't wait !