What ACW Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
I just finished Milton Greene's The Last Battles of the Petersburg Campaign and found it to be excellent. One of the best books of its type that I've ever read.

His book inspired me to order Noah Trudeau's The Last Citadel. I'm looking forward to digging into it.
I don't see that first title at amazon. Can you mean, The Final Battles of the Petersburg Campaign: Breaking the Backbone of the Rebellion by A. Wilson Greene, which gets top reviews, as does your second choice?

David Moore

Sergeant Major
I have started General Grant and the Rewriting of History: How the Destruction of General William S. Rosecrans Influenced Our Understanding of the Civil War, by Frank P. Varney from Savas-Beatie, 2013 (honorable mention for the 2014 Albert Castel Award).

Fair notice: Frank and I were on the same Little League team in fourth grade (our team won one game, the day I was out sick). I reconnected with him last year and discovered he had a late-life conversion from business to teaching history, got his doctorate from Cornell, and teaches out at Dickinson State University in North Dakota these days. He's currently writing his second book for Savas-Beatie.

This book is controversial. Frank takes a view that goes against the common wisdom (he thinks Grant did Rosecrans a dirty deed). I've always liked Rosecrans, but then I like Grant more. I haven't decided if Frank will change my opinion a bit. He does present a detailed argument for his side, but I haven't checked the reference yet.
Read Albert Castel’s last book Victors in Blue and ponder why he said it would take a “courageous historian” to write about Rosecrans.

trice

Lt. Colonel
Read Albert Castel’s last book Victors in Blue and ponder why he said it would take a “courageous historian” to write about Rosecrans.
Rosecrans is a problematic guy. Had some part of undoubted genius to him (at the start of the war, Grant thought the three great men for the Union would be McClellan, Buell and Rosecrans). Was a huge pain to his superiors and had constant disputes with them. Loved by many of his troops, ran roughshod over immediate subordinates. Looks like an uncooperative, unreliable comrade out for himself if you have the command next to his (like Grant at Vicksburg when Rosecrans is in Middle Tennessee). Probably caused the defeat at Chickamauga by his treatment of Wood beforehand (although Wood should, IMHO, have seen a court-martial for his own part in that).

Before Varney, the last major book on Rosecrans was The Edge of Glory by William Lamers, 1961. I read that one way-back-when. Even Rosecrans biggest biographer, Lamers, thought Rosecrans' personality and behavior was the root cause of his problems. Unfortunately not a unique problem among leaders, military or otherwise, which is why Greek tragedy is based on people with fatal flaws that lead to their own destruction.

Currently enjoying The Civil War in the West by Earl J. Hess, which I picked up from the bookstore at Shiloh battlefield park. Next up is General Sterling Price and the Civil War in the West by Albert Castel.

Jamieva

1st Lieutenant
I just finished Wilson Greene's The Last Battles of the Petersburg Campaign and found it to be excellent. One of the best books of its type that I've ever read.

His book inspired me to order Noah Trudeau's The Last Citadel. I'm looking forward to digging into it.
Put greens campaign of giants on your reading list after you finish Trudeau. I'm about halfway through the 1st volume now