What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

The book, Vicksburg 1863, by Winston Groom, is an informative book written for a reader who knows little about the war and the campaign. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars because it mostly fulfills its purpose of describing the capture of Vicksburg in 1863, but (a) mixes extraneous topics intended to maintain reader interest, but which make it difficult to keep the main story in mind. The parsimonious reader who is looking for text directly related to the Vicksburg campaign will want to skim or skip half the book. (b) The book fails to provide the reader with notes (1) for additional reading of topics of interest and (2) for verification of the author’s interpretation of events and decisions made by leaders of both sides.

Vote Here:
This is my new reading project. Really excited about this, because Sgt. Downing served in the same regiment and company as my gr-gr-grandfather, and gr-gr-gr uncle (11th Iowa, Company E)

Downings Civil War Diary.jpg

Last edited:
Vote Here:
I was talking to a friend this morning and she had "Team of Rivals " on her book shelf. I asked her if she had read it and she offered to lend it to me, so guess what's next on my reading list?

Vote Here:
I would be interested in knowing to what extent Downing was engaged in fighting in all those battles.
Well, I'm no expert - I'm just now starting to learn about the 11th Iowa, but from what I gather, the Iowa Brigade was heavily engaged at Shiloh and Vicksburg. Downing, being only a sergeant, surely had his hands full.

Vote Here:
I was talking to a friend this morning and she had "Team of Rivals " on her book shelf. I asked her if she had read it and she offered to lend it to me, so guess what's next on my reading list?
I read it and enjoyed it immensely. Hard to imagine how Lincoln could make a team out of campaign rivals w/o reading this book. Additionally, historic writers don't come any better than Goodwin.

Vote Here:
Just finished Mr. Lincoln's Army with mixed reactions, so I will reserve judgment until I read its two sequels. Among other reservations, how does Catton expect the average reader to understand the significance of multiple unit battle movements without a sufficient number of maps?

Norm

Last edited:
Vote Here:
Just completed 39 pages of The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery by Foner. Disappointed that so far very little is said on the subject. Most of the narrative I would consider as "background" and a distraction. However, you are advised to ignore my cavils because the book won a Pulitzer Prize, so obviously I don't know what I am talking about.

Norm

Vote Here:
Mr. Lincoln's T-Mails, by Tom Wheeler. Started this book today for discussion in my online book discussion group. Sorely disappointed so far because of far too much repetition. If it continues, it would appear this book could have been done in 1/3 of the pages used.

Vote Here:
I would be interested in knowing to what extent Downing was engaged in fighting in all those battles.
I'm about halfway through Sgt. Downing's diary. He and his regiment was certainly heavily engaged at Shiloh. The things he saw there deeply moved him and everyone else in his company. Regarding Vicksburg, it would appear that the 11th Iowa was functioning more in a support capacity. Downing's regiment was on a regular rotation with one or two other regiments for picket duty just outside Vicksburg, when the battles were going on there. Still reading, but those are a couple observations I've made.

Vote Here:
Currently reading "Life in the Confederate Army" by William Watson. It's one of the more colorful and opinionated stories of someone's personal experiences during the war that I've read, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. He has a lot of opinions about both the governments and the little guy on the ground, and his method for combating mosquitoes in his tent is... different.

Vote Here:
Making my way through " Team of Rivals", which is actually far more interesting than I thought it might be! Do all leaders in war put their own careers ahead of national issues? Gee Whillikers!!!! Get your acts together, guys, Get over yourselves!!!!!

Vote Here:
Back