What actually happened at Fort Pillow?

Forrest had Black his soldier slaves with him as did Hurst.
That got lost in the transmission.

I bought "Hurst's Wurst" for Christmas and actually enjoyed it more than I expected. It didn't sugar-coat him to be a saint. Hurst did own slaves before the war but he was pro-Union and actually arrested at least twice for his stand. When his wagon train was captured during Forrest's 1864 Raid, it was said he had black and white mistresses with him.

According to CSA law the officers of the USCT could be executed if captured. I wonder if it was they who encouraged their troops to fight to the death.
According to CSA law the officers of the USCT could be executed if captured. I wonder if it was they who encouraged their troops to fight to the death.
No, Davis as Commander in Chief never allowed that law to be followed, as Sherman's investigation revealed. Union Officers, who had been Forrest's POWs and there were many, testified he had always treated them humanely.

He ordered the Fort closed and was livid it wasn't.
Union had to pay reparations to English businesses damaged by the Red Legs under Bradford and Hurst and Union officers wrote Grant asking by what authority the Red Legs looted and destroyed properly. Union was all about Total War, but under their authority, not by Red Legs.

Forrest records 700 in the Fort, Stigalls men were never mentioned in any records prior. The ride to fort covered 40 miles in one night, so they had no time to do anything but ride. The Union Cav moved 25 miles a day and pickets that far out left Booth confident he was safe. The official OR report says 450, so over a hundred were the Contraband workers who loaded the ships or customers at the "Saloons." There was a massacre but the Blame is on Bradford for not surrendering when resistance was futile and giving the Contraband moonshine and guns. Hurlbut gambled Banks would succeed or Sherman fail. The thing is a mess because him. It was a nest of criminals not a Fort. Pillow was a CSA name. The Northern Newspapers confused this issue and the blood of the slaughtered dyed the River red. So many were lost in the waters we can know the extent of the tragedy. But if the Yankees hadn't invaded for cotton and tariffs it would have never happened. The greed for cotton undermined the War effort as Grant made clear. Pillow was among the most egregious examples.
Laughable! Might want to pick up on some real history, and not southern confederate propaganda, there was a Fort called Sumter that was fired on you know! :wink:

Kevin Dally

Here's another teaser from RICHARD FUCHS great book AN UNERRRING FIRE cited below. Note this is yet another warning that Forrest and his gang is coming, and they got murder on their minds. This warning is apparently from a Rebel double agent implanted at Fort Pillow, who gave fairly accurate account of Forrest strength and his intentions. Note it is unusual for Forrest to go after a small garrison with such a large force, and this I believe reinforces my theory that Fort Pillow was a special secret planned affair by Bedford Forrest and Party which involved a partial massacre to make important points to their enemies.

“Lieutenant Rawley was known by the sobriquet of “Mollie.” He testified at an investigation into secret societies that operated as fifth columnists and who were rumored to be comprised of Federal soldiers with southern sympathies. Lieutenant Rawley stated that while at Fort Pillow, a man who was familiar with the lieutenant’s identify “said Forrest was coming with 4,000 men to take the place and he was going to take it if it took every man he had.” He told Major Boothe what he had heard and expressed the opinion Forrest would take the place if he made the attempt. “My advice was to evacuate the fort or re-enforce it at once, for if Forrest did get possession the Federal forces, and especially the officers, would be badly used.” Lieutenant Rawley was transported to Memphis two days preceding the assault.”

“The same evening “Mollie” left the fort for Memphis the man who had advised him of Forrest’s impending attack was permitted leave of the fort. While Lieutenant Rawley was at headquarters this informant came in, and with a Tennessee soldier attesting to his loyalty, Major Boothe issued the man a pass.”

Last edited:
This warning is apparently from a Rebel double agent implanted at Fort Pillow, who gave fairly accurate account of Forrest strength and his intentions. Note it is usual for Forrest to go after a small garrison with such a large force, and this I believe reinforces my theory that Fort Pillow was a special secret planned affair by Bedford Forrest and Party which involved a partial massacre to make important points to their enemies.
I think "An Unerring Fire" is one book I have not read on the subject. However, Spies were quite common. In Ward's book, he speculates that a soldier named "Inman" was a spy serving with the 13 Tennessee Cavalry. Since they were recruiting, Inman could have joined up within the last few days. The purpose of a spy was to determine the strength of the enemy as well as create confusion and fear.

I don't see how any of this proves Forrest had death warrant against the occupants of the fort. When General Chalmers attacked the garrison at Collierville, he took his entire division of 3,050 men even though they expected to encounter 300 or less. He used Clubfoot Fort as a spy and he knew the details of the Union camp. General Chalmers had a choice of 2 places to attack but he chose Collierville because of his intelligence information.

Here's another teaser from RICHARD FUCHS great book AN UNERRRING FIRE cited below. Note this is yet another warning that Forrest and his gang is coming, and they got murder on their minds. This warning is apparently from a Rebel double agent implanted at Fort Pillow, who gave fairly accurate account of Forrest strength and his intentions. Note it is unusual for Forrest to go after a small garrison with such a large force, and this I believe reinforces my theory that Fort Pillow was a special secret planned affair by Bedford Forrest and Party which involved a partial massacre to make important points to their enemies.

“Lieutenant Rawley was known by the sobriquet of “Mollie.” He testified at an investigation into secret societies that operated as fifth columnists and who were rumored to be comprised of Federal soldiers with southern sympathies. Lieutenant Rawley stated that while at Fort Pillow, a man who was familiar with the lieutenant’s identify “said Forrest was coming with 4,000 men to take the place and he was going to take it if it took every man he had.” He told Major Boothe what he had heard and expressed the opinion Forrest would take the place if he made the attempt. “My advice was to evacuate the fort or re-enforce it at once, for if Forrest did get possession the Federal forces, and especially the officers, would be badly used.” Lieutenant Rawley was transported to Memphis two days preceding the assault.”

“The same evening “Mollie” left the fort for Memphis the man who had advised him of Forrest’s impending attack was permitted leave of the fort. While Lieutenant Rawley was at headquarters this informant came in, and with a Tennessee soldier attesting to his loyalty, Major Boothe issued the man a pass.”

Thanks for posting something rather than...you know. :D

So WHY is there more than one demand from Forrest to surrender and they don't do it? I love (sarcasm font here) this conspiracy stuff...Oprah's eating babies, too according to some folks running around these days. :nah disagree:

Who exactly is Richard Fuchs, what are his qualifications, and what documentation is there. Do we have the "investigation" testimony? And...I hate to say it, but gosh, what if the guy who said Forrest was coming was exaggerating? Like that never happened in the war.

If you read what you've quoted above...other than the last sentence "...especially the officers, would be badly used," the rest seems to be correct. The rest is opinion (not that I might not have been just as freaked, but...still).

Problem is, there's always emotion and confusion. We've said many times on this forum we probably will never know, and even if we did...if THAT GUY came back from the dead, pronounced it a cold-blooded massacre, and God himself was nodding behind him--people would argue about it. And vice versa!

I know a lot of us would love for you to keep adding here with documentation (I worked in Cooperative Education for 20 years...it's what I do.)

Here's something significant RICHARD L. FUCHS found in the OFFICAL RECORDS in which Bedford Forrest gave clear statement that poses a problem for some people. Here’s FUCHS again in his own words:

“Even Forrest acknowledgement of capturing 350 stand of small arms along with six pieces of artillery is not persuasive of the Confederate perspective regarding this question. He reported “All the small arms were picked up where the enemy fell or threw threw them down. A few were in the fort, the balance scattered from the top of the hill to the water’s edge.”

Note this Bedford Forrest statement lines up perfectly with the scenario that the final massive assault forcible pushed the garrison out of the Fort and into the open rear. It was here that the Federals found themselves hopelessly blocked on the front and both flanks with a River in their rear. It is here where they begun to throw down weapons for a mass surrender in the rear of the Fort. Note they are separated from the Federal Flag that is in inside the Fort now held by the Confederates. The Federals can not lower the Flag for they are not in possession of the Flag pole in order to attempt to lower it in a surrendering procedure. No one has a right to shoot soldiers who show acts of surrender by having thrown down their arms, raised their arms up, and begged not to be murdered. Note also once it was ascertained that the Rebels were continuing to shoot unarmed soldiers some Federals pick their weapons back up in a futile attempt to resist, as they continued to flee down the slope to the riverbank. Note very few weapons were found inside the Fort, therefore there was no suicidal stand under a Federal Flag of defiance which would justify a massacre.

Note this Bedford Forrest statement lines up perfectly with the scenario that the final massive assault forcible pushed the garrison out of the Fort and into the open rear. It was here that the Federals found themselves hopelessly blocked on the front and both flanks with a River in their rear. It is here where they begun to throw down weapons for a mass surrender [don't know of any mass surrender]....

Note also once it was ascertained that the Rebels were continuing to shoot unarmed soldiers some Federals pick their weapons back up in a futile attempt to resist...
Confederate accounts have it different - the Union soldiers would lay down their arms feigning surrender and then would pick them back up to continue the fight.

I thought I would follow up with the records of Private __?__ Inman, 13 Tennessee Cavalry(US).
The records for this one soldier is an example of the confusion you will find among the records of the 13th Tenn Cavalry. The records were lost for many of the soldiers and they had to be re-created.

This record says he joined at Union City on 7 January 1864 but there is another entry that says he enlisted on 12 April 1864---this entry being recorded on 5 January 1867.
No Christian name is known. So he joined a unit and no one knew him or could identify him.

Inman_13TNcav.JPG

I thought Private Inman was captured but I have him down as one of the Missing In Action---which is another way of saying he was massacred or we assume he was. If he was a spy, he simply slipped out of the Fort with a pass by his Confederate buddies. I still wonder if some records were generated for the investigation of the Congressional Committee---but I admit that is pure speculation.

True, but at the time (prior to the battle) the USCT officers didn't know that.
They knew and the danger to them was for their being labeled War Criminals by both sides. Thirty of the Red Legs had been executed by Forrest's men two weeks, prior. The Red Leg 13th Tennessee was only marginally affiliated with the US Army and that causes much confusion trying to trace their activities. Bradford should have been shot for giving untrained men weapons and whiskey. The Fort obviously shipped Moonshine as both sides accused the other of being drunk. USCT Officer filed the Official Report in the OR.

I thought I would follow up with the records of Private __?__ Inman, 13 Tennessee Cavalry(US).
The records for this one soldier is an example of the confusion you will find among the records of the 13th Tenn Cavalry. The records were lost for many of the soldiers and they had to be re-created.

This record says he joined at Union City on 7 January 1864 but there is another entry that says he enlisted on 12 April 1864---this entry being recorded on 5 January 1867.
No Christian name is known. So he joined a unit and no one knew him or could identify him.

View attachment 351366

I thought Private Inman was captured but I have him down as one of the Missing In Action---which is another way of saying he was massacred or we assume he was. If he was a spy, he simply slipped out of the Fort with a pass by his Confederate buddies. I still wonder if some records were generated for the investigation of the Congressional Committee---but I admit that is pure speculation.
Yes, it appears phantom units were invented to cover the fact most were untrained Contraband Laborers preventing protection under the Liber Code.

Confederate accounts have it different - the Union soldiers would lay down their arms feigning surrender and then would pick them back up to continue the fight.
The CS Officer at the base of the bank had Yankees jumping down on his position from the Fort. As long as the Gunboats were approaching the Battle continued. By Liber Code he didn't have obligation to take any prisoners because there was no rear to send them to and holding them endangered his command. If they threw their hands up at their posts in the fort like the USCT that survived they got to live, but if they jumped down the bank or ran down the ramp they died. Even if the Officer on the bottom ordered his men to kill them all, he was legally justified.

Yes, it appears phantom units were invented to cover the fact most were untrained Contraband Laborers preventing protection under the Liber Code.

Were white Tennesseans considered contraband??

“Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change.”
Wayne W. Dyer

Were white Tennesseans considered contraband??

“Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change.”
Wayne W. Dyer
Fine, Red Legs AND Contraband units were created post facto to vilify Southerners and hide criminal nature of the instillation that was well placed to defend the land from the River but was the worst possible place to defend the River from the land. A real Soldier would recognize this, but the Red Legs who established the smuggling operation were not real soldiers.

Here's something significant RICHARD L. FUCHS found in the OFFICAL RECORDS in which Bedford Forrest gave clear statement that poses a problem for some people. Here’s FUCHS again in his own words:

“Even Forrest acknowledgement of capturing 350 stand of small arms along with six pieces of artillery is not persuasive of the Confederate perspective regarding this question. He reported “All the small arms were picked up where the enemy fell or threw threw them down. A few were in the fort, the balance scattered from the top of the hill to the water’s edge.”

Note this Bedford Forrest statement lines up perfectly with the scenario that the final massive assault forcible pushed the garrison out of the Fort and into the open rear. It was here that the Federals found themselves hopelessly blocked on the front and both flanks with a River in their rear. It is here where they begun to throw down weapons for a mass surrender in the rear of the Fort. Note they are separated from the Federal Flag that is in inside the Fort now held by the Confederates. The Federals can not lower the Flag for they are not in possession of the Flag pole in order to attempt to lower it in a surrendering procedure. No one has a right to shoot soldiers who show acts of surrender by having thrown down their arms, raised their arms up, and begged not to be murdered. Note also once it was ascertained that the Rebels were continuing to shoot unarmed soldiers some Federals pick their weapons back up in a futile attempt to resist, as they continued to flee down the slope to the riverbank. Note very few weapons were found inside the Fort, therefore there was no suicidal stand under a Federal Flag of defiance which would justify a massacre.

But that doesn't denote the intent of Forrest to carry this out. Nor does it show he had control at any part. I don't think I'm arguing about what happened in the melee--yes, there was a definite loss of control. Is it on his head? Technically, of course (although some other heads should have rolled before his, if he was not on site at the time).

So...

View attachment 351366

Weird. And yes, it leaves all sorts of stuff up to conjecture. Good going, @DixieRifles -- as always!

The CS Officer at the base of the bank had Yankees jumping down on his position from the Fort. As long as the Gunboats were approaching the Battle continued. By Liber Code he didn't have obligation to take any prisoners because there was no rear to send them to and holding them endangered his command. If they threw their hands up at their posts in the fort like the USCT that survived they got to live, but if they jumped down the bank or ran down the ramp they died. Even if the Officer on the bottom ordered his men to kill them all, he was legally justified.

And drowning. If you couldn't swim, even if you made it to the river, you drowned and you were dead as the ones being shot. Sad, but true.

Back