Western Theater Trip

hlightcap

Private
Here is my itinerary for my trip in two weeks. I have fit in as much as possible into the limited time frame and do not think I could add anything else unless there is somewhere that is a must see…are there any glaring omissions?

Thursday, November 11th

Leave Cornelius, NC

Pick up my brother at Hartsfield-Jackson Airport (ALT)

Chickamauga Battlefield Hike
Florida Monument, Georgia Monument and Colquitt Monument
Polk's Headquarters to US artillery position
Bragg's Headquarters to Winfrey Field and Baldwin Monument
Brock's Field to Brotherton Cabin
Yellow trail to Heg monument
Green trail to Wilder Tower Monument
Red trail to Lytle Monument
Red trail to Rosecrans’s Headquarters
Vinard Road trail to South Carolina Monument
South Carolina Monument to Snodgrass Hill
Snodgrass to Kelly's Cabin
Kelly's cabin back to parking lot

Stay at Courtyard-Nashville West End

Friday, November 12th

Fort Negley

Fort Donelson National Battlefield Hike

Visitor Center to Union Camp and Smith’s Attack
Smith’s Attack to the River Trail to Fort Donelson
Fort Donelson to Fort Donelson Trail to National Cemetery
National Cemetery to Cedar Street to French’s Battery
French’s Battery to Maney’s Battery to Grave’s Battery
Grave’s Battery to Visitor Center

Fort Henry Hike

Parker Crossroads Hike

Salem Cemetery Battlefield

Stay at Memphis Marriott Downtown next to Beale Street

Saturday, November 13th

Shiloh National Military Park Morning Hike
Start south of Shiloh Church
Take Sherman Road to the Crossroads and Woolf Field
Take trail to 2 Confederate Burial Trenches
Take Sherman Road to Jones Field
Take Cavalry Road through Cavalry Field and Confederate Burial Trench
Take Trail to Corinth-Pittsburg Road
Take Corinth Road to Prentiss Surrender Site
Take Eastern Corinth Road and Trail to Wicker Field
Take Hamburg-Savannah Road to Bloody Pond, Peach Orchard, and Johnston’s Death Site
Cut through Sarah Bell’s Cotton Field to William Manse Cabin
Take Sunken Road through the Hornet’s Nest
Cut through Duncan’s Field to Ruggles Battery Trail
Take Hamburg-Purdy Road to Lost Field Trail
Take Lost Field Trail to Peabody Road and Monument
Take Peabody Road back to Shiloh Church

Shiloh National Military Park Afternoon Hike
Start from Visitor Center
Take Brown’s Ferry Road to Indian Mounds
Take Trail to Corinth-Pittsburg Road
Take Confederate Last Line Trail to Grant’s Last Line
Take Grant’s Last Line to Pittsburg Landing
Take Pittsburg Landing Bluff Trail
Return to Visitor Center

Drive other parts of battlefield and head back to Nashville.
Return to NC on Sunday with a possible stop at Stones River or Franklin.

Need to spend more time at Shiloh. One day won't do it. Need to lop off something. I'd lop off Fort Negley and Fort Henry and Memphis, but I'm not you. If BBQ is one of the objectives, go for Memphis.

But consider staying over at Savannah or Corinth or Selmer rather than returning to Nashville. And getting from Chickamauga to Nashville is going to cut into your day severiously.

You have it planned out to a T, but it doesn't look right. Somewhere in there you have to look for "what ifs." I'm not familiar with Chickamauga, but I am with Shiloh and Franklin and Donelson. It seems that you haven't factored in road time.

Little disturbs me more than having to rush off to meet a schedule.

Oh. And Franklin is a better bet than Stone's River. The ground over which Hood's boys advanced is covered with steel sheds and small industry, but from Winstead Hill you can see where they were headed. And from the Carter House, you can see where they were coming from. And there is Ft. Grainger. Franklin is worth at least a day. There's little left of Stone's River.

Seems to me that you're a bit over-ambitious in what you can take in during the time you've planned. But I'm a quality-over-quantity kinda guy.

A few years ago. I and my CW buddy spent 3.5 days at Shiloh and still didn't see it all. To see just the important spots in one day is quite inconceivable.

Set up priorities. When you run short of time, and you will, you're going to have to lop off something.

On Friday morning, I'd suggest a quick stop at Shy's Hill, site of the break in the Confederate line. 20 minute stop. Get on 21st Ave S. which becomes Hillsboro Road through Green Hills Shopping area to a left turn at Battery Lane. Shys Hill Road about a 1/4 mile on right. That Battery Lane will take you east to Franklin Pike, left turn which becomes 8th Ave on to Chestnut St. right turn to Ft. Negley. Only about 5-10 miles total drive. I'll post my cell phone in a private message for when you get lost.

Thanks for the advice Ole and Larry. I was looking at Shy's and might have to squeeze it in. I know I won't be able to see all of Shiloh on this trip, but that will give me a reason to come back and hit Vicksburg next time. I've already been to Chickamuaga so if I need to cut time there I can. I figure that Parker's Crossroads and Salem Church can be taking out...they are right off 40 on the way to Memphis so I added them, but they are not essential. Never been to Beale street and look forward to wetting my whistle at the local establishments. There is no exact schedule, and things change but this is the basic groundwork. Keep them suggestions coming.

Need to spend more time at Shiloh. One day won't do it. Need to lop off something. I'd lop off Fort Negley and Fort Henry and Memphis, but I'm not you. If BBQ is one of the objectives, go for Memphis.

But consider staying over at Savannah or Corinth or Selmer rather than returning to Nashville. And getting from Chickamauga to Nashville is going to cut into your day severiously.

You have it planned out to a T, but it doesn't look right. Somewhere in there you have to look for "what ifs." I'm not familiar with Chickamauga, but I am with Shiloh and Franklin and Donelson. It seems that you haven't factored in road time.

Little disturbs me more than having to rush off to meet a schedule.

Oh. And Franklin is a better bet than Stone's River. The ground over which Hood's boys advanced is covered with steel sheds and small industry, but from Winstead Hill you can see where they were headed. And from the Carter House, you can see where they were coming from. And there is Ft. Grainger. Franklin is worth at least a day. There's little left of Stone's River.

Seems to me that you're a bit over-ambitious in what you can take in during the time you've planned. But I'm a quality-over-quantity kinda guy.

A few years ago. I and my CW buddy spent 3.5 days at Shiloh and still didn't see it all. To see just the important spots in one day is quite inconceivable.

Set up priorities. When you run short of time, and you will, you're going to have to lop off something.

As for me, I'd skip Ft. Henry for now because of the time. Dover and Ft. Donelson are worth the stop. Ole's right about Stones River, small battle area, small national cemetery and a run-of-the mill visitor's center staff. You have to do a LOT of imagining at Stones River. Franklin is a little more friendly and has many folks who can answer questions. If I were doing this, I'd go from Chattanooga to Savannah in a more direct fashion, probably I-24 to US-64 and through Winchester, Fayetteville, Pulaski and on to Savannah and Shiloh. Then check your time before heading to Memphis and return to Nashville or Clarksville via I-40 then perhaps to Nashville, Franklin, Murfreesboro and catch 840 up to Lebanon to I-40 if your brother isn't going back to hot lanta. Memphis to Dover or the reverse, consider US 79. That oughta confuse you enough for now?

Place called the Rendevous for ribs in Memphis and the lobby of the Peabody Hotel to see the ducks waddle into the pool (or out, depending on the time of day). They sell lots of booze. You MUST amble out to Forrest Park and pay your respects to N.B. Forrest. Keep the windows rolled up.

On the way to Nashville from Chattanooga, take a 10 min break and exit I 24 at mile marker 97. This little stop will put in the middle of the Hoovers Gap battlefield. Take a restroom break and grap a cool drink of water. The battlefield park is well marked with informational signs.

On the way to Nashville from Chattanooga, take a 10 min break and exit I 24 at mile marker 97. This little stop will put in the middle of the Hoovers Gap battlefield. Take a restroom break and grap a cool drink of water. The battlefield park is well marked with informational signs.

There's a market and gas station well hidden just the other side of the interstate (west). Park is on the east. You'll see the flags and monument. The word grap that Richard used is fascinating, but that's for another thread.

I'm envious. I could spend several days hiking Chickamauga. Like suggested before, I would not want to leave early to keep a schedule.

I was SO disappointed in Stones River. Very small preserved area, and it took more imagination than I have to try to figure everything out.

Parkers Crossroads is a very nice place to stop and stretch your legs. A lot of work was put in by the people there to establish a nice interpretive trail.

I think, and just my opinion, that you are only touching the surface of Shiloh. What you have planned is great, but I have spent days at a time at Shiloh and still have plans to see areas I have not been to.

I love Memphis. This usually falls on deaf ears, but The National Civil Rights Museum should be a must. Very moving. It is not far from Beale Street. I hear the rap that it is not in a great neighborhood, but I took my kids and mother-in-law and never felt concerned.

Since you will be in Atlanta, have you considered a visit to Kennesaw Mountain?

I have been to Kennesaw and Stones. I also was disappointed with Stones. I thought I missed something the last time I was there during a brief hike...probably won't make it back this time. I did like the rocks formations near the slaughter pen. My brother and I are don't get way from work and the wives to often, so as much that this trip is a civil war trip, we also put time aside to go downtown Nashville and Memphis to have a few beers and see the sights. We already have plans for the spring to come back to Shiloh and go to Vicksburg, so I really want to focus and the main points of interest at Shiloh this time and delve deeper next time. Chickamauga is one of my favorite battlefield to hike so I am going to keep that...still so much to see there and I think I am going to add a stop at Hoover's Gap/ Beech Groove Cemetery on the way to Nashville. The place looks like a neat place to stretch the legs.

Sorry the about error my old fingers sometimes make a miss Q. Guess I am catching up with Larry or is it the other way around. I do hope that you will pay a visit to the park, the old cemetery has been redone and several new monuments have been placed near the covered shelters.

FRANKLIN, INDEED! Then again, I am probably showing bias. "The Battle of Franklin Trust" sites, (Carter House & Historic Carnton), are both open 7 days a week. M-Sat / 9am-5pm. Sun / 12n-5pm. Last tour at both sites is always 4pm. Shiloh? Do not miss the classic movie shown in the main VC. It's a relic in and of itself. And, soon to be replaced with a more modern, more period-correct version. Regardless, enjoy your time in TN.

John Marler
Franklin, Tennessee

Back