Western Theater : Especially Trans-Mississippi Battles.

I suppose that it really comes down to one`s ancestors, and which theater(s) that they primarily fought in that determines which posts will get each member`s interest and attention. I had a total of twelve different 2nd Great and 3rd Great Grandfather`s along with one 4th Great Grandfather who all fought for the Confederacy during the ACW. Only one of the thirteen fought solely in the Eastern Theater, the other twelve primarily fought in the Western Theater. My 3rd Great Grandfather who served with the 2nd Alabama Cavalry Regiment fought the majority of the ACW in the Western Theater. None of my direct ancestors participated in the Trans-Mississippi Theater, west of the Mississippi River. So, the vast majority of my research has been conducted on the Western Theater, specifically the campaigns, battles, skirmishes, fights and actions in which he and my other direct ancestors participated. I have a general interest in the American Civil War but a specific interest in the campaigns and battles in which my ancestors actively participated. I assume that this is true with many of the members here. When I browse through the new posts, I look for various topics of discussion regarding the Western Theater first, as those are the ones to which I am drawn. When I reference the Western Theater I am speaking of the area east of the Mississippi River and west of the Appalachian Mountains.

Last edited:
Ladies and Gents,

I am just curious about members participation on this message board regarding the Western Campaign of the American Civil War, especially the Trans-Mississippi battles. I have posted a ton of threads since 2013 regarding this topic and to be quite honest, most members do not seem interested. I bumped the Battle of Hatchie's Bridge thread and the Battle of Baxter's Springs thread in the past two days. Both threads did not gain any traction, especially with newer members.

Question : Should I continue to post and bump threads involving the Western Campaign, especially the Trans-Mississippi battles?

My Goal : To get members interested in battles not named Gettysburg, Antietam, Fredericksburg or Manassas.

This is not a rant, it is just a curiosity thread. Honestly, it boggles my mind that members aren't more curious about the battles which do not receive a ton of notoriety.

Bill
What went on in the far west? The battles may not have been the main thing. The expeditions, from CA eastward, from CO territory southward, Connor's expedition across Nevada to the LDS settlements, the telegraph line, gold shipments, and the beginning of US action against the Apaches, and Sand Creek, small events had enormous consequences.
And as the news of US success filtered northward to Golden and Denver by August 1862, the US had a good deal more confidence that it was achieving the Republican platform goal.

Small events, not covered in the press of that time, gave the US administration a much stronger hand by the fall of 1862.

Back