West Virginia Veteran Census

Kyle Kalasnik

First Sergeant
I cannot for the life of me find the 1890 and 1910 Veteran Census.

I am looking for Fayette and Kanawah Counties and if Martin Filbin/Philbin and C.A (Charles Anderson?) Reynolds served

I have included a document with their information on it.

Their children John Filbin and Addie (Reynolds) Filbin are set of my 2nd Great Grandparents. Although the document is primarily aimed at John and Addie, there is some census information on Filbin/Philbin and Reynolds.

1. I’m curious if either served.
2. There is a lot of conflicting information on the internet and in the dusty box of family records with first and last names, years of birth, etc. which I am trying to square away.
3. Are these the same guys as in my family records.

Any other information I can give to be of assistance, just let me know.

Thank you in advance. Appreciate your consideration in this matter.

Respectfully,
Kyle Kalasnik
4FCA4DB2-A539-43E1-AD6D-9DA08E7CFFD0.png

Last edited:
I cannot for the life of me find the 1890 and 1910 Veteran Census.
You can't find the census? Or you can't find your guys on it?

This page from my blog has links to the 1890 and 1910 censuses.

Last edited:
I put Martin Filbin into Fold3 and immediately got this:

MartinFilbin.png

But I did not find any other records. I did a search through the 1890 Veterans Census for everyone named Martin (since I figured if there was a misspelling causing you not to find it it would be Filbin that got misspelled). I found nothing that looked right. It may be that he did not serve.

I could not find any records for Charles Reynolds on Fold3.

You can't find the census? Or you can't find your guys on it?

This page from my blog has links to the 1890 and 1910 censuses.

I cannot find the census. Thank you for your help.

I put Martin Filbin into Fold3 and immediately got this:

View attachment 390530

But I did not find any other records. I did a search through the 1890 Veterans Census for everyone named Martin (since I figured if there was a misspelling causing you not to find it it would be Filbin that got misspelled). I found nothing that looked right. It may be that he did not serve.

I could not find any records for Charles Reynolds on Fold3.
Thank you. Is that an Oath of Allegiance that civilians would take?

Oh good point. Even though he immigrated in 1854? He also lived in the 1860s in Monroe County, WV and Allegheny County, VA, an area that was very divided. Thanks for the response.
I don't know the ins and outs of the allegiance oaths - likely there is someone (or several someones) here on CWT who do know. It might be worth posting a thread with just that question. I'd love to know myself!

I’ll do it, it would be interesting. What specific forum would you think it should go in?
The likeliest for getting the answer about Martin Filbin is to put it in the Immigrants forum. But if you ask the question in a broader way - who had to sign these oaths and why? - then I think the general Civil War history forum makes sense. There's probably more people who follow that forum too, so you might get more eyes on it.

I have bad news about the 1890 US Census. Most of it was destroyed in a fire in Washington, D.C. in 1921 so unless your luck is good you will find no data to help you from that census. I would love to have records from the 1890 US Census for my ancestors but I'm out of luck too. This fire burned up about half of the 1890 Veterans Census and just about all of the 1890 Population Census.

Last edited:
I have bad news about the 1890 US Census. Most of it was destroyed in a fire in Washington, D.C. in 1921 so unless your luck is good you will find no data to help you from that census. I would love to have records from the 1890 US Census for my ancestors but I'm out of luck too. This fire burned up about half of the 1890 Veterans Census and just about all of the 1890 Population Census.
Yessum, that’s what I have heard, read, and noticed. And it’s a pain in the neck.

Thankfully there are some very helpful people on this site that are beyond nice.

We all feel your pain over the 1890 Census. So many gaps in the records caused by that one fire!

Back