Were Union soldiers present when their Certificate of Honor was filled out?

tin33man

Cadet
I'm curious if Union soldiers were present when their Certificate of Honor was filled out? After examination of certificates of those present at their muster out the information contained within the certificate reads as if some of the questions were being asked and could only be answered by the soldier. My grandfather was killed in battle so I know he wasn't present when his certificate was filled out and there are questions left blank because they no longer pertained to him. I question how much of the information on his certificate is accurate due to his occupation being listed as a butcher when in fact he was a tailor. I'm also curious how accurate the age on muster in cards are for those who were honest and didn't lie about their age when they enlisted either because they were to young or to old.

I am not sure of having heard of any such certificate. I would believe from reading command reports after a battle where many men are cited for bravery, etc., that any documentation would be filled out by the lieutenants or captain of the company and submitted to the Lt. Col., but I am guessing.
Lubliner.

Vote Here:
I am not sure of having heard of any such certificate. I would believe from reading command reports after a battle where many men are cited for bravery, etc., that any documentation would be filled out by the lieutenants or captain of the company and submitted to the Lt. Col., but I am guessing.
Lubliner.
The Certificate of Honor was a soldiers discharge paper. I'm assuming every soldier was issued one but that may not be the case. The certificate list the soldiers personal info such as age, place of birth, height, hair, color, eye color, occupation, where and when they joined, discharge reason, any monies owed, any debts they may have for material and equipment such as clothing, travel costs, bounty pay and so on.

Vote Here:
The Certificate of Honor was a soldiers discharge paper. I'm assuming every soldier was issued one but that may not be the case. The certificate list the soldiers personal info such as age, place of birth, height, hair, color, eye color, occupation, where and when they joined, discharge reason, any monies owed, any debts they may have for material and equipment such as clothing, travel costs, bounty pay and so on.
One would think that basic information such as age, height, hair color, eye color, place of birth and occupation was recorded at time of enlistment and carried with the regiment until time of discharge. I know soldiers weren't always truthful about the information they provided due to one of my grandfathers being 49 when he enlisted in 1861.

Vote Here:
One would think that basic information such as age, height, hair color, eye color, place of birth and occupation was recorded at time of enlistment and carried with the regiment until time of discharge. I know soldiers weren't always truthful about the information they provided due to one of my grandfathers being 49 when he enlisted in 1861.
I agree with that. I believe the vital statistics of each was already on record.
Lubliner.

Vote Here:
I would imagine for the most part information was reported and recorded as accurate as possible. We all know honest mistakes happen in transcribing and also flat out lying both in reporting and recording. Reading someone else's script can be a challenge. As to his occupation as a soldier, at times where ever needed the most apply.

Vote Here:
Back