Were "pillbox caps" worn during the Civil War?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
In U.S. Army Headgear 1812-1872 on page 152 it states "Pillbox caps, similar to those first seen in the British and Canadian armies in the 1850s, began to appear on the heads of some Union officers in the last days of the conflict. They were privately purchased and although they continued to be seen sporadically in the decades after the war, were never called for in regulations." Then on page 153 is an image of 1st Lt. William E Gibson, Co. B 4th U.S. Colored Troops. My problem is that he became a First Lieutenant on march 29, 1865 and was mustered out on May 4, 1866. This is my problem: I have never seen an image that showed a pillbox cap be worn during the Civil War that could be verified that it was Civil War and not post Civil War. So in your opinion were officers wearing pillbox caps during the last couple of months of the Civil War?

The closest I've seen is from the 3rd New Jersey Cavalry often called "The Butterflies". There are images of officers wearing their distinctive head gear , but I've read that it was a brimless kepi , not a true pillbox .

Back